1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

2-10 VDC generator for testing

Discussion in 'Tools and Test Equip' started by otto, Sep 6, 2016.

1. otto

otto Bakery Chef

I want a small circuit board that takes 24 VAC in and has a variable 0-10 VDC output to test actuators with.
    I know that they're out there but just don't know what they're called. I do not want to spend $130 on a fancy digital display gizmo that I might use 2 times in 4 years.
    I used to have one but lost in the shuffle somewhere along the way. I need it to test the actuators on economizers so I know if they will need a new actuator or just the Jade controller and sensors.
    My old one looked something like this one.
    Capture.JPG
    Is there something I can get from a supplier? Or should I just get this from China for $6.00 on eBay.

Thank you in advance for your considerate and thoughtful replies.

2. otto

otto Bakery Chef

3. LemonWizard

LemonWizard Blinky Lights Wizard

You know this will just end with the actuator dieing on you a month after you change the control right?
    :loltard:

otto likes this.
  4. Timebuilder

Timebuilder I live in moderation...

5. otto

otto Bakery Chef

Had one recently, W7212 was all corroded up. Replaced with a Jad and new sensors. Damn actuator motor was bad. So I stole a good motor from a unit next to it. They needed a new motor sooner or later, now they won't need a motor until the next PM inspection. I are So Clever!

6. NZ All Blacks Fan

NZ All Blacks Fan Just Another swinging Dick

spend the extra 75 cents get the digital display unit -treat your self

crackertech likes this.
  7. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

:lachen:

8. otto

otto Bakery Chef

I'm kinda cheap.

9. refrigerationtech

refrigerationtech Nut Case!

I have a kele. used it on the Honeywell actuators seemed to do the job.

10. Tap

Tap i hate it when a velociraptor throws poop at me

I have the kele, but a 9v battery usually does the job

11. otto

otto Bakery Chef

I have a 9V battery, a new one even. Used it to test the one mentioned and it failed the test, used it to find a good motor to misappropriate.
    I also have a decade box, didn't have time to mess around, was wondering if I could put the decade box in series with the + to the DC signal and flip resistance switches to simulate lower voltage. Maybe I will play around with that this weekend.

Tap likes this.
  12. otto

otto Bakery Chef

That's the one I used to have on my truck. Hell, $5 on ebay, might as well order one of those, too.

Attached Files:

• $_57.jpg
      $_57.jpg
      File size:
      144.8 KB
      Views:
  13. Y7turbo

Y7turbo New Member

A little searching and you can find info on how to build your own from scratch. I made one a few years ago, got all the parts from radio shack, spent maybe 50 bucks and a couple hours of my time. I found some plans online for a 4-20ma signal generator then I added an additional switch and 500 ohm resistor to turn the output from 4-20ma to 2-10vdc. It works well, but I hardly use it. One of these days I'll buy a nice one with a display.

14. otto

otto Bakery Chef

I ordered a DIY kit but it's missing some parts. IMG_20160906_202132699[1].jpg

15. otto

otto Bakery Chef

Also no instructions. :p

16. Daryl_Dixon

Daryl_Dixon New Member

How long until companies like Fluke and Fieldpiece come out with meters that test:
    0-10 VDC
    4-20 mA
    etc

Seems like the need is there now...

knave likes this.
  17. LemonWizard

LemonWizard Blinky Lights Wizard

4- 20 not being standard is the one that really gets to me

18. safebustr

safebustr New Member

You might check an outfit called "Electronic Goldmine". They have a variable output card that should fit the bill for your needs. The item number is (G21272). You would need to add a rectifier and small filter capacitor to the input and it should work fine business for your needs.

Attached Files:

19. heavyevans

heavyevans FNG

20. otto

otto Bakery Chef

I have 2 different boards on the way, either of those should do the trick Thanks.