1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

50 Degree Room

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by mike1020, Dec 7, 2017.

1. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

Have a customer that wants to keep a room at 50 degrees using a normal air conditioning rooftop unit.

Think it will work?

Just to make it even more fun the unit doesn’t have an economiser, so today when it’s 20 degrees outside, the unit is running its compressor.

2. mike1020

MTH put a Freeze Stat and a condenser fan cycling switch

3. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

It’s probably not going to work to well

mike1020 likes this.
  4. Chuck

Chuck SSP

What kind of load in the room?

5. mike1020

The room is not insulated. There’s an air cooled ice machine in there. It’s got two sets of swinging doors. And people keep going in and out. The room is 10 by 30 with a 10 foot ceiling.

The rest of the building is 68 degrees in winter and 74 degrees in summer.

It’s a 4 ton unit.

6. jays 65

jays 65 New Member

wont work way to cold coil would run way way below freezing.make it like a walk in beer cooler but all the air infiltration would keep coil froze probably

7. Chuck

Chuck SSP

Should work fine, lots of rtus out there cooling all winter with frostats and fan cycling. No reason it won’t work.

8. coldsnap

coldsnap -20 on the money

Quote economizer upgrade

9. otto

otto Bakery Chef

I tell people all the time: "It's an air conditioner, not a refrigerator"
    There's a reason refrigerators have all those extra controls.

Zman likes this.
  10. mike1020

It’s a 1994 Lennox residential style package unit, Lennox says no economiser kit available.

11. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

That's an A/C unit not a refrigeration system!

X2 with @otto

otto likes this.
  12. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

One time I had a furrier for a customer and they wanted the fur vault at 50F, they had two 5 ton Yorks on it, they froze up all the time so I bid a 10 horse high temp reefer,they bought it, we installed it, set the stat to 50F and the next morning they were raising hell about it being so cold in there

They ended up satisfied with it at 68F I asked them why they wanted it so cold, "To keep the furs from drying out"

The only thing I learned on that job was #1 the customer was an idiot, but he was an idiot that paid his bills, and #2 when they say fur vault trust them, the ****ing walls were 2 ft thick heavily reinforced with rebar. Drilling holes for line sets was a bitch

Zman and mike1020 like this.
  13. oroy54

oroy54 New Member

Nope!