1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Above the ceiling

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by Texas-Tech, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

I don't know a tech that doesn't have some issues with everything mounted above the ceiling, wtf are ya supposed to do with that type of shit. Over the last few months I am seeing a lot of wshp units instead of air handlers. Now I see a whole lot of problems with this especially due to the fact 50% will be an absolute nightmare to service.

Is this popular in other areas?

2. HMD

HMD does it matter?

damn lazy electricians have to run their 'oh so important' conduit in front of units. instead of hugging the ceiling.
    blame the lazy ass who signs off and doesn't inspect

Daryl_Dixon likes this.
  3. HMD

HMD does it matter?

i have a site, where there's 8 FEET above the ceiling grid in a hallway. think the damn sparkies would hang high?
    phuck no. they throw their shit above the grid, and rehang off of it, and rehang off it, so much, the entire plane above the grid is impenetrable. dancing room (7 1/2 FEET of open air ) above the mess. i have had to cut in access panels, in the walls, to get above their shit. then try walking on their crap.

4. Daryl_Dixon

Daryl_Dixon New Member

Where I work, I'm being re-educated to understand that electricians are gods.

Texas-Tech likes this.
  5. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

I just love when there mounted all the freaking way up and I can’t get my fat ass on top of the 10 ladder to get to it!

6. HMD

HMD does it matter?

you're supposed to be in the 'training room' tending to the popcorn and doing a soduku, and the kid is supposed to be up the ladder

7. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

This is what the kids doing
    1A588581-716C-4FCC-BA29-78A9FEADDB44.jpeg
    Off the beach

Catpower, jpb2 and HMD like this.
  8. jpb2

jpb2 Dog Tard *

What kinda fish ? Looks half cooked

9. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

10. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

jpb2 likes this.
  11. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

Yes it's very common

12. mike1020

They are.

And most electricians will tell you that 90% of hvac should be done by electricians.

So what that must really mean is other 10% of hvac involves electricity and should be done by hvac technicians because most electricians can't read a schematic, don't understand how electricity works and don't fully grasp the use of a multimeter.

Catpower, pintofstout and Daryl_Dixon like this.
  13. Texas-Tech

With all the access problems, standing on a 10ft stepladder with a 5 ton scroll compressor in my hands is really gonna piss me off. This location has 5 wshps hidden above open and closed areas, all I know is they are all Tranes. We have a retail site, high end, lots of money. They all have wshps, some you can only get the filters off with no access to the business end of the unit. ****ing a nightmare

14. HMD

HMD does it matter?

lead electrician, where iam at, uses a screwdriver to ground. to check for power.
    he gets in the mechanical room, my tools get put away

mike1020 likes this.
  15. Daryl_Dixon

Daryl_Dixon New Member

I work with retards now
    It's really bad
    The money 'almost' ins't worth it

jpb2 likes this.
  16. Ballvalve79

Ballvalve79 It's only fire what could go wrong

Hospital site we so work at is doing a bunch of renovation work at some satellite office buildings right now ,a bunch of it is wshp. They have a policy of 30" all around bthe unit. If something is in the way or under it all that has to be said is "I wonder what Tom over at facility services would think of that?". The shit magically finds another space to occupy and gets no argument. The hospital guys will let it get done almost to the point of no turning back and then make the othersmove thier pipe conduit etc. Apparently uite some time ago one of the higher ups at the hospital had a job where he was servicing a wshp in the cielings and was electrocuted reaching up into the controls with no space in front of it. He got a settlement and a higher up job and takes care of the renovation stuff now. He also doesn't take any bulsnit from anyone saying there is or was no other way he says think outside the box and walks away it had better be right when he comes back.

17. mike1020

One of the big hospitals here had the condensing unit for the morgue cooler bolted to the wall, 20' off the floor.

It was fine but then in a remodel a bunch of steam pipes and ductwork were installed making the unit almost inaccessible. Evidently the condensing unit wasn't supposed to be there and didn't show up on any print.

Once they realized the error the hospital hired a contractor to set the unit on the ground and run the refrigerant and cw lines down to it. Was a $$$$$ job lol, but they knew it needed to be done and they did it.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    Ballvalve79 and HMD like this.
  18. Texas-Tech

Stupid rules nowadays

jpb2 and HMD like this.
  19. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

Shit like this is exactly why wire nuts are so high priced

And to top it off they generally put a modular desk under the place you need to get

20. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

We have a lot of buildings with WSHP in the ceiling. Pain in the ass because it usually right over the bitchy ladies desk. Even worse there's a mall here that has Carrier horizontal AH in the ceilings for all the 1st floor spaces. 7 1/2 to 10 t taking those big ass panels off standing on a 10 foot ladder. Not to mention the idiots that work in these stores will walk right under your ladder while you're trying to work. But I digress.......

Ballvalve79 and mike1020 like this.