1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Above the ceiling

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by Texas-Tech, Oct 28, 2017.

1. HMD

HMD does it matter?

yep

2. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

Have an air handler that sits on a mezzannine above a women's restroom

Have to put your 8' ladder up in the hallway to get at it

When you're working on it you can hear the farting noises when someone's in the bathroom taking a dump

3. Jon

Jon Team Canada

:mrbill:

4. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Had one let go in the Dead of Winter,above a Finished Ceiling. So the install crew left it in place and installed the New one about 6 feet away, above where the drop ceiling was,and extended all the piping and wiring. Now I know where to get replacement parts for the rest of the units in the Building,when needed!

mike1020 likes this.
  5. Daryl_Dixon

Daryl_Dixon New Member

Women don't poop. ;)

6. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

The hell they don't

7. mike1020

:bs:

8. knave

knave Undeterred

9. Jon

Jon Team Canada

10. knave

knave Undeterred

Well, Lurk does have a morning routine :dunno:

:D

Daryl_Dixon likes this.
  11. newtech

newtech 636

Yes , above ceiling WSHP's are a pain in the ass to work on. We have a 9 story building full of them plus a University that we take care of.

Get yourself a 15-25ft hose for charging and evac.

If repairs need to be done with a torch and your hoses aren't long enough, hang them from any place that you can in the ceiling.

If you can't fix it in place, then drop the unit and sell them a new one.

12. mike1020

If a compressor dies it's time for a new unit

HMD and newtech like this.
  13. Sdeery

Sdeery Machinist in training

A constructive total loss is an insurance term where the cost of a repair for an item (e.g., house, boat or car) is more than the current value of that item.

sdeery

14. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

True......

They blow up at 40!

HMD likes this.
  15. HMD

HMD does it matter?

they're all bat shit crazy

16. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

weask our clients who have these to buy an extra unit of each size. if they fail they get pulled out and replaced in four or five hours, then can be serviced at leisure in their shop onsite. it works out well. you cannot do compressor changes on many of them in place.

Daryl_Dixon likes this.
  17. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

I use my rope through the top of the stepladder and hang the torch under the ladder.

18. Daryl_Dixon

Daryl_Dixon New Member

This

19. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

I'm doing PM work on WSHP s at the municipal building. I'm trying to get the ones done back through the judge's chambers area. There's one in a deliberation room where I saw the judge head in to meet with some couple. There's only a couple units up there so I asked the judge's secretary how long he was going to be in there. She went in to ask and came back saying the judge was going to move the meeting to his office. Cool I checked the one in the deliberation room, the one in the hall and then the one right outside his office. It was running when I checked it but soon as I put the door on it went off. Was that normal I thought. I went down to the BAS and pulled up the unit ??? Is a bad thing no comm. only I could still read the room sensor. 76° oh shit I killed the unit to judge's office. Ran back up and looked at the unit again. No 24 volts . I can't tell you how happy I was that the transformer was fused and I had one in my bag. I was sweating bullets. Didn't even look to see how I shorted it out. I put the fuse in made sure it was running when I put the tile back in and got the hell out of Dodge. WSHPs are a pain in my ass.

knave likes this.
  20. HMD

HMD does it matter?

and they were lucky you just happened to be on site, and was able to immediately service the unit thru your vast training and skillset acquired thru years of hard work and schooling.
    never ever run away from a job.

Catpower likes this.