1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Acid eat pvc glue?

Discussion in 'Residential' started by jamesyarbrough, Jan 4, 2018.

1. jamesyarbrough

jamesyarbrough Amateur Gynecologist

Just left a call. 90% trane furnace dripping water from the flue pipe at the joints. Water leaking down to the drain pan and flowing out of the drain there. 90 on the drain line leaking as well. All of it was glued with blue pic glue. The rain or shine stuff. Not primed.

I was thinking they were glued improperly and not being primed before glueing was probably part of it. But now I'm wondering if the acid in the condensation from the flue gasses could be the culprit

What say you?

ReeferPool likes this.
  2. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

PVC of CPVC?

3. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

I would say not priming the pipe would cause more problems

The condensate is more alkaline than acid though, if that caused a problem drain lines would be leaking all over because soaps and detergent are high in alkalinity

Texas-Tech likes this.
  4. Joeysmith

Joeysmith New Member

I blame it on frozen glue. Not sure if that's the case but when we have one that leaks sure seems like its from an install that took place in winter/early spring. We try not to let it freeze or use it if it does get froze but it happens sometimes. I could be completely wrong though.

5. Chuck

Chuck SSP

Gas furnace condensate has a ph of 2 - 4 which is quite acidic. Some cities/states have codes requiring a neutralizer to protect plumbing from acidic condensate.

http://mechanical-hub.com/sites/hyd...uced-by-high-efficiency-gas-fired-appliances/

Although for the sake of this discussion I’m sure the condensate isn’t eating the plastic, most of the problems from condensate are older iron drain systems

6. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

That was a good read Chuck, thanks

oroy54 likes this.
  7. jamesyarbrough

Pvc

8. jamesyarbrough

We may end up having to repipe it for the customer.
    I called the company that installed it. Told the owner the joints were leaking. Glued improperly. He asked "who said they weren't glued properly? " in a snide voice. I told him I was looking right at then leaking. Then I asked if he was going to come fix it or if the homeowner was going to have to pay me to fix it. He said he wouldn't warranty it.

So I guess when we go repipe the shit I will make sure and prime it properly and I'm gonna use that grey glue. It's pretty damn stout.

9. Chuck

Chuck SSP

How long since it was installed?

10. jamesyarbrough

11. Ballvalve79

Ballvalve79 It's only fire what could go wrong

Lack of primer is your problem. I bet the glue that is there looks like sugar crystals when you pull the joint apart.

Zman and pecmsg like this.
  12. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

Guess it is like the synthetic oils when they first came out with the condensing
    furnaces I was at a Carrier school and they said it would be alkaline

13. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Interesting, cause I have seen that before! Never new exactly why. Do Now.:thumb:

14. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

James is it that you eat pvc glue after you take a acid hit?:D

jamesyarbrough and Zman like this.
  15. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Seen 90+ Condensing Boiler Drains piped directly into the Basement Floor Foundation,no filter. Was told it was within code by the Installing Mechanical Contractor. :dunno:

16. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Snorts PVC glue.

crackertech likes this.
  17. Ballvalve79

Ballvalve79 It's only fire what could go wrong

What you have seen is the lack of primer before glue is applied. I am not sure what happens when the purple primer is dumped into the glue can to tint it for the purpose of beating the inspector. I can't imagine it's a very good joint. Lazy people piss me off it's like they think up work to get out of work and it takes them longer to do it. I cannot see the time saving with that method.

mike1020 likes this.
  18. Chuck

Chuck SSP

Is that a problem? It’s smells sooooooo goooood......

19. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Ya Need Help! :rolleyes:

20. jamesyarbrough

so lack of primer. Makes sense.

We did a 90% tankless yesterday. Needless to say I used the grey glue on all that shit. And I primed it all twice.