1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Addison

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by Texas-Tech, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

Anyone familiar with their products? One of the techs was sent to "start" up a new install, dedicated oa unit, split. Controlls not landed and no idea if it had freon or nitrogen in it. Project manager is totally unqualified to do his job.
    I went over to give him a hand and was pretty much dumbfounded with the unit. No manuals for the unit, no info on any startup procedures, ****in air handler has 4 solenoid valves in it, probably 4 more in the condenser. I'd be afraid to turn it on

[​IMG]

2. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

I know all about Addison, it is a burb north of Dallas

3. HMD

HMD does it matter?

i saw one, once, 30 years ago. 3t split, in a penthouse, nothing fancy, like the things used to be. t87, a relay, contactor, xformer, and a couple pressuretrols. big deal.
    wtf are they building now?

crackertech likes this.
  4. Texas-Tech

:chairshot:

5. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

Are there electric expansion valves or cds valves in there too? I think I see the drivers

6. Texas-Tech

Yes I believe there are some form of exv but they are in the condenser, so I'm not sure what they are for. There is a lot of electronics in there, I'm too ****ing old for that shit :D

7. HMD

HMD does it matter?

i dont see miz daizy

8. Jon

Jon Team Canada

Put your spectacles on :D

jpb2 likes this.
  9. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

Adison used to make all of the small rooftop products labelled as Mammoth. that panel screams Mammoth design right there. Typically there will be a sequence of operation in the submittals for the flex controller, but as far as start up and service manuals, they are usually semi custom ad don't have manuals. They expect you ae qualified to start and service it.

p.s. that drawing in the bottom of the panel should be enough to get it running and identify the solenoids. it would be for my guys who are used to working on mammoth shit.

10. HMD

HMD does it matter?

the few mammoths i have worked on, all the wires were red

11. flange

probably ultraline units and yes, yes they are. usually numbered though.

12. Texas-Tech

I really wasn't to much into doing anything with it Friday but I'm sure I'm gonna get my chance. I will say I'm supprised to see no service valves on it all. It's 2 stage hp with reheat and no way to valve it off.

13. flange

bet that you find it undercharged too :)

mike1020 likes this.
  14. Texas-Tech

Don't know if it has freon it already, someone wrote 400psi on the hot gas lines with a sharpie. Guessin it's nitro

15. Ballvalve79

Ballvalve79 It's only fire what could go wrong

That sounds about like a row of York condensers one of our guys piped up a few years ago. The tag says holding charge. He wondered what it could be lol I can't remember what it's supposed to be but in had water/compressed gas another he thought was something inert like helium or nitrogen and at least one had what he figured to be 410a(who knows what else mixed in). They all started and ran ok except the one that had straight up water gaseous mixture in it,he had the York/Johnson boys home and deal with that train wreck. If I remember correctly they made him pipe and pressure test and then they wouldn't believe him until a vacuum was unatianable.

16. flange

So, considering your posts on this, I'm thinking hot gas regs in the condensers, piped back to the inlet of the evap coils, OR hot gas reheat coils. If they are reheat, they will look like reversing valves only with a larger piston and provision for oil return in some cases. As far as the charge, we were told that its their preference to slightly undercharge and leave room to add a little in the filed, as opposed to overcharging and having to drag up recovery gear to rooftops. This, because unlike R22, they hadn't quite figured out how to accurately calculate the required charge of all of the new refrigerants quite yet. Nameplate charge is there to meet DOT requirements for shipping, not to actually tell you how much to put in.

17. Texas-Tech

Well it's update time, only took one month to finish this, did the official start up with the Trane tech because they are the distributor for Addison. It's been one thing after another but I believe it's ready to go.

The initial start was a frustrating failure, kept pumping itself down and freezing the accumulator. 5o° of compressor sh. Addison kept harping on the solenoid valves, are they open, are they closed and on and on. We had put about 20 lbs of 410 in it the first time and they said with the lineset length we could have as much as 50 lbs of freon:shocked: so the Trane guy opens up the suction and starts adding, head went up pretty quick.

Ended up returning again the next day and played with this prick and at the end of the day we decieded it needed both txvs replaced in the evap. WTF
    Addison didn't have any in stock so they gave Trane the part # for a replacement. Ok, now I wasn't looking forward to this at all but I figgered out a way to do it.

Original valves were Emerson, 3ton adjustable the new ones are Sporlan 4 ton adjustable. The originals had 1/4" inlet, 1/2 out, sporlans are 1/2 in and out. Why would they use such a small valve on a unit with 100% oda.

Anyways it did work after we did the dirty deed.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

R2D2-TX, Zman and mike1020 like this.