1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Air Handlers hooked to hot water boiler

Discussion in 'Residential' started by kena, Jun 10, 2017.

1. kena

kena New Member

I may have asked this question is some way before... so sorry if I'm repeating myself.

If you have an air handler for hydro air (heat and coiling), what's the best way to wire it with the boiler.
    The reason I ask is because I'm used to having the thermostat start the air handler blower first, then the boiler is called for heat. I started a job where the air handler was already hooked up to HTP on demand boiler via Taco control board.

So... I would normally wire the therm to the air handler, then to the Taco board so that it would call for heat. In this case... they have it wired in such a way that the circulator fires first, then the air handler comes on after delay. However... this is zone two, and if I shut heat off at the therm, it is still calling. I disconnected all the wires off the heat exchanger and it shows it's still calling. I'm guessing they have the wiring all messed up. I haven't had time yet to trace it all out. My big question is just do you guys fire the air handler first so the blower is already running before the boiler fires. That's the only way I've done it. These guys who wired it are electricians who don't do low voltage. So they don't have a clue... Any suggestions?

2. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

I get the H W too the coil then bring on the fan.
    Avoids the cool / cold blast of air to start

3. kena

kena New Member

So you would wire therm to the Taco board which would call for heat on the on demand boiler, then from the Taco board to the air handler? There's a delay on the air handler so there would be hot water already flowing through the heat exchanger.
    That makes sense too. Somehow they have this all screwed up. At first glance, I couldn't see what was calling for heat on zone 2. I unhooked the therm and air handler. It was still calling and hot water was circulating through the air handler. Sounds like tracing it out and possible rewiring.

4. kena

kena New Member

The way my electrician has done my jobs is wire it so the air handler has to be on for the boiler to kicks on.

5. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

Taco makes a Control that sends the signal to the boiler and has a sensor to delay the fan. Can't think of the #

6. chesty puller

chesty puller New Member

You don't want cold air blowing through the space, pumps come on when boiler reaches temperature, then you bring air on.. that is how it should work.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

7. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

8. jettinvr6sc

jettinvr6sc New Member

I just throw an aqua stat (Honeywell L6006C1018) set to 120 degrees on the return of the hwc. I use that to bring the fan on.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jun 10, 2017
  9. kena

kena New Member

Can you use this in conjunction with another Taco control that handles the indirect water heater? So if I used this Taco control, I would use one for each air handler.... I have two.

I know they have the Taco control set to priority for the indirect water heater. I wonder if the fact zone 2 keeps calling is it freezing up and staying on. I've never waited an hour to see if it stops calling.

10. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

Depending on the model yes.

11. kena

kena New Member

Well, the only other thing besides the two air handlers is an indirect HTP 80 gallon tank with Aquastat. So if I use two of these for the air handlers, I only need to deal with the HTP tank

12. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

First Company Hydro's? Zone valves with 1 circulator at the Boiler,or 3 circulators? What kinda Boiler,large mass,tripple pass or Condensing 90+?

13. LemonWizard

LemonWizard Blinky Lights Wizard

Start circulation pump.
    Prove flow. (Optional)
    Start boiler.
    Prove water leaving water coil is hot enough for heating.
    Start fan.

Also a good idea to have freeze protection that will lock out the blower if airstream exiting the heating coil is too cold.

14. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

Freeze protection should be when temperature gets near freezing run circulator

15. LemonWizard

LemonWizard Blinky Lights Wizard

Yes I meant to put that as well.
    Definately need to stop drawing near freezing air across a water coil if its not got heat in it though.

16. knave

knave Out for a rip

Ken

What's the application?

Resi?

Commercial?

Any fresh air?