1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Ansul system gas line safety valve

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Okie, Jan 10, 2018.

1. Okie

Okie Go Balls Deep

I've got a facility that is remodeling there kitchen and they are wanting to relocate a 2" -2 psi gas line. The existing line as it sits has a 2" ansul system safety gas valve mounted in a horizontal line. If the ansul system goes into alarm it shuts off all the gas to the kitchen. They are wanting to relocate this safety valve and mount it on a vertical line and also if possible mount it above the drop ceiling. I'm struggling to find any good information on the valve itself or code pertaining to it's needed location.
    So my question is can Ansul safety valves be mounted horizontal or vertical orientation?
    Can they be mounted above a drop ceiling or do they have to be visible, easily accessible in the vicinity they serve?

Thanks

oroy54 likes this.
  2. Okie

Okie Go Balls Deep

55601.jpg Here is what the valve looks like.

3. Chuck

Chuck SSP

I don’t know the answer for sure, but I know I’ve seen them installed in a vertical pipe, right or wrong.

4. coldsnap

coldsnap -20 on the money

Same here. Ask the fire safety company what they want

5. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

Calling @iron he deals with those systems all the time

6. iron

iron we men are wretched things

seen them mounted vertical and horizontal
    makes no difference to the valve because its a wire that trips them
    but never ever seen them mounted above the ceiling.

crackertech likes this.
  7. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

the ahj GENERALLY wants them visible from the ground. I don't have a current copy of nicet code but would bet it feels the same way. my .02.....its a solenoid, mount where practical with visual indication of position visible from in front of the hood.

8. oroy54

oroy54 New Member

What extinguishing agent do they use now? When I left the plant Halon was to be phased out in the electrical control room.

Your question about the position of the valve is very noble. I ran across that position problem with some steam traps also.

9. otto

otto Bakery Chef

I have seen them above drop ceilings. I didn't care much for the idea but it was already there and that wasn't my concern at the time.