1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Any ideas or help is appreciated

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by Rather B Riding, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding New Member

OK so this is the first time I've seen this type of unit and had to do troubleshooting. Its having a problem we thought another tech fixed last year. Trane voyager. All controls are inside the unit. The only thing in the space is a HW 8000 and all it does is night set back (opens a relay contact on 3&4 on the low voltage terminal block) All the VAV boxes are stand alone with fan powered heat on them and a thumb wheel for each.
    Unit lost 1 of the 2 tandem compressors last year then they found a problem that I thought was resolved. Here's what is happening. An intermittent problem but is the same as they described last year. Blower is running, first compressor came on ran for about 3 or 4 minutes then it dropped out 30-45 sec later both compressors came on at the same time. They ran for about 4 min then go back out. Unfortunately it will not always act irratic. It doesn't seem to respond properly by changing the supply air set point. I had very limited time to troubleshoot and only partial schematics. Checked most of the easy things and haven't really found much. Going back tomorrow. I'm just not familiar with this controls setup.
    They replaced the UCP board and all the pressure switches last year. Pressures are normal. I have a few things I want to check but felt like I was lost when out schematics. Anyone ever had this problem?

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
  2. Rather B Riding

The controls inside the unit IMG_20170606_100424552_HDR.jpg

3. Jim54

Jim54 New Member

Sounds kinda like your controller has lost it's occupied program and the unit is running in unoccupied mode. Try this- make careful control wiring notes and disconnect the control wiring. Then jump out J6-2 to J6-4. This will put the unit in stand alone vav mode and it will operate on the setpoints on the control panel in the unit. That way you can determine if you have a unitary issue or a controller issue. Here is a link to the IOM. Page 40.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.trane.com/content/dam/Trane/Commercial/lar/es/product-systems/comercial/Rooftops/VoyagerIII/iom/Voyager%2027.5%20a%2050%20TR%20IOM%20(Ingl%C3%A9s).pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiPwMiSzarUAhVI5YMKHakYAZ4QFggdMAA&usg=AFQjCNH3U4390BxCidb5q6YhCm1isQq-zw&sig2=dJshbWi9DKaPH8Kzhr_EVg

Rather B Riding likes this.
  4. Rather B Riding

Thanks, I will. I did download the IOM. I didn't have it when I was at the unit. It doesn't have the schematics I need either. I will get them from Trane before proceeding. I did find that the economizer damper actuator has failed. The tech that was out last year is no longer with the company so I couldn't ask him any questions. Got this call late in the day and just didn't have the time. Looking for places to start tomorrow.

5. Jim54

Jim54 New Member

Yeah it might be different for an older Voyager so getting the correct IOM is a good, good move.

6. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

I hear that, they discontinued the UCP in 2003 I think

Jim54 likes this.
  7. Jim54

Jim54 New Member

Oh hell, well I was pretty close, only missed by 14 years!:alcy:

8. Rather B Riding

It is an 03 unit. Was like pulling teeth to get a readable schematic. All the drawings I got at the local Trane dealer were wrong. 06-09 versions. I had them email the Voyager wiring diagrams book 175 pages only need 2 schematics.