1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Baffled trying to repair customers Lennox Furnace

Discussion in 'Residential' started by johnroberts, Sep 11, 2017.

1. johnroberts

johnroberts New Member

Hi

I was wondering if you can help me with an issue I have with a customers Lennox Furnace G40UH-36A-070-14 that utilizes control board 100973-01 0106N046148 1012-969. According to the owner’s manual this model/control board combo uses a mini nitride igniter 75M21 95v. My problem is when I initiate Heat command I never see the igniter glow. Upon turning on the heat cycle at thermostat I see the exhaust blower turn on but nothing else happens. I disconnected the connector that connects the igniter to the control board & did a OHM check & see 278.9 ohms (according to the owner’s manual reading should be 50 to 450 ohms). So igniter appears to pass resistance test. I kept the connector disconnected & initiated heat command again & had ac voltmeter connector to other side of igniter connector & see 110V ac. I see both status LED’s (1 green & 1 red) blinking simultaneously every second or so (I believe this indicates normal operation). I am baffled why the igniter does not glow when 110v ac is sent to it. As a side note I replaced the hose from exhaust blower to pressure switch. I do notice flame sensor has a little carbon on it that I have to clean off. Any help/info you could provide me would be very much appreaciated.

Thank you & regards

John

2. coldsnap

coldsnap -20 on the money

You need to start a thread in the new member forum and tell us what you do in the trade

Rather B Riding and knave like this.
  3. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

A good Mechanic knows his limitations!

newtech and Rather B Riding like this.
  4. Chuck

Chuck SSP

Add freon

5. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

<flat rate> residential troubleshooting flow chart..........replace thermostat if that doesn't fix it, replace capacitors in outdoor unit, if that doesn't do it, replace induced draft fan, if still broke, new board. After that, start changing less expensive parts. 799 plus nonstock parts.

R2D2-TX likes this.
  6. knave

knave Undeterred

Hello
    John Roberts

Are you the homeowner that owns the home that the homeowner (customer) owns?

Because your technical lingo is technically different than a technician with technical expertise would use to describe the technical issue you have.

Couldn't resist :D

Regards,
    Evan

newtech, Catpower, doc havoc and 6 others like this.
  7. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

I don't want to be that guy, but where are you located where it's cold enough to need heat right now?

Zman and coldsnap like this.
  8. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

John knows how to properly use a multimeter so that puts him ahead of the pack.

Like Flange said, half the guys I worked with at The Big M would have never used their multimeter and then just put a new igniter in, and if that didn't fix it they would change out the board, lol

Catpower, knave and coldsnap like this.
  9. johnroberts

johnroberts New Member

I solved the problem. Your expertise was was not needed. Inducer pressure nipple was clogged. I won't be charging customer for a new inducer or control board like most of you do for a little clogged nipple!

10. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Convert to Standing Pilot or use a match!

11. doc havoc

doc havoc A cunning linguist

You've got the wrong forum. I can say with utter certainty that no member of this forum would have changed the inducer and/or control board. You blatantly violated site rules, even after being told by @coldsnap you need to start a new members thread. You no read rules, we no help.

BTW, do you like ice fishing?

12. Anita sannich

Anita sannich Exceptionally average

Put down your homeowners manual, check out the ladder diagram. Also, find out if your homeowners insurance covers badger damage. You're welcome, in advance.

R2D2-TX, chucko615, Catpower and 3 others like this.
  13. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

What a dick, learn to properly diagnose problems instead of throwing parts at it then insulting everyone because your skill level is lower than the soles of your shoes.

14. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

You are the best, BUT, everyone here would have checked the make/break of the pressure switch first, long before searching the web for a help forum and then posting here about it. We would have known the sequence on how it works, checked the switch, remove the tubes and checked to see if they were clogged or it had a bad switch, then jumpered it at the start of the induced draft fan to PROVE there was nothing else wrong and the system continued through a heating cycle event, but I digress.

15. NZ All Blacks Fan

NZ All Blacks Fan Just Another swinging Dick

yeah what he said. I did see this thread shortly after you posted it (look at the view count) but I refrained from posting because you cant follow site rules and instead waited and did not jump to conclusions like you did about the group here ps I knew what was the likely cause ( aps) hahahhahahahhahahha Ive been doing this for 35 yrs ( since standing pilots and natural draft furnaces) Ive seen the progress from that to 95% ers

16. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

:boid:

:D

Rather B Riding likes this.
  17. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

Glad you got it fixed John, now you can get back to you seat at the Supreme Court:thumb:

18. chucko615

chucko615 Banned camp counselor

I must really be a slacker, I missed this. Great badger reply Anita. ...:thumb: and limitations that was good too.

19. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

:banned:

20. jamesyarbrough

jamesyarbrough Amateur Gynecologist

Fag

Rather B Riding likes this.