1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Beware York Affinity Series condensers

Discussion in 'Residential' started by kena, Sep 2, 2017.

1. kena

kena New Member

No... you are still using the 24 volt transformer from the attic ah. It will work. You have the two wire from the attic. Connect yellow to the yellow going out, the common to common on the transformer downstairs, and the hot. It will complete a circuit. It absolutely will.

2. kena

kena New Member

I actually tried it... and on paper it worked. In real world application it did too.

3. kena

kena New Member

The whole point of this thread wasn't to find solutions to the issue... just an FYI if you buy these things.

4. Chuck

Chuck SSP

Your wiring explanation is as clear as mud. :D You didn't explain in your earlier post that I replied to, that the commons were tied together. Of course it would work.

mike1020 likes this.
  5. doc havoc

doc havoc A cunning linguist

Actually, I'd prefer if people continued to offer solutions. Makes for interesting thoughts/reading. For example, I'd have NEVER used a liquid line as common. Honestly, would have never even thought to do it. But in a pinch...any port in a storm.

jpb2 likes this.
  6. knave

knave Undeterred

My condensers don't have any control wires from the indoor unit :D

mike1020 likes this.
  7. doc havoc

Window shakers?

mike1020 and knave like this.
  8. knave

knave Undeterred

Lol.

mike1020 likes this.
  9. knave

knave Undeterred

I guess some of the freezers have a couple wires to the the solenoid and the defrost heaters.

Otherwise just the LPC,

mike1020 likes this.
  10. doc havoc

I thought you meant the condensers for your home.

knave likes this.
  11. knave

knave Undeterred

Yeah I was being sneaky ;)

12. knave

knave Undeterred

But it is an option in extreme situations where the wiring has problems behind finished walls. Just add a LPC outside and solenoid inside.

13. jpb2

jpb2 Dog Tard *

Before long wireless will be more readily available

14. HMD

HMD does it matter?

sense o milla?

15. knave

knave Undeterred

Also would require a 240v contactor or a xfmr

16. kena

kena New Member

I explained it clear in an earlier post....

"Here's how I wired this particular situation... and it is theoretically correct and works fine.

I took the 2 wire from the attic air handler that had the two wire from common on the transformer, and the second wire off of yellow on the thermostat. Brought that down to the cellar air handler and hooked up the wire from the attic that was hooked to common on the transformer, to the common off the cellar air handler transformer. I ran a new 3 wire out to the condenser, and just used the red off that transformer to the red going out, the yellow stayed to the new three wire yellow, and the other wire off the new wire to common. It works as long as the polarity is the same on both transformers. If not, all you have to do is change black and white in the breaker panel to the air handler, or change the polarity on one of the transformers."

So... :chairshot:

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  17. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Glad you cleared that up...:headscratch:

Daryl_Dixon and Chuck like this.
  18. Randysmit1986

Randysmit1986 New Member

On carriers my old companies installers would place a jumper between R AND Y

19. Chuck

Chuck SSP

Yes, that's what we did 10 years ago when Amana started using comfort alert. Like controlling a toilet with a circuit board.

mike1020 and knave like this.
  20. knave

knave Undeterred

Lol