1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

bluvac acting up

Discussion in 'Tools and Test Equip' started by jamesyarbrough, Oct 8, 2015.

1. jamesyarbrough

jamesyarbrough Amateur Gynecologist

Anyone else have problems with bluvacs leaking? I have been having hell lately and decided to put the gauge rite on a pump. I pulled it down to 30 microns and valved it off and it grew to 1500 in no time. I switched to a thermistor and it held fine. Are these things known for leaking?

Its only 5 months old! Kinda pissed me off

2. Chuck

Chuck SSP

That is not the gauge, it's the pump blank off valve or oring.

Kills me when guys try to hold a deep vacuum on such a tiny volume. Even a flare fitting can leak enough molecules to see a rise on the gauge.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  3. jamesyarbrough

Then why did it hold with the thermistor?

And why cant i pull a vacuum below 1500 microns this week?

And why is the thing rattling now?

4. jamesyarbrough

Im about to shit can the whole set up and get the yellow jacket rig with hoses and core tools and a yellow jacket thermistor. Ive had enough hell with it

5. Chuck

Chuck SSP

Because the thermistor gauge isn't even close to the bluvac in accuracy and resolution.

Because of something wrong with your vacuum rig, your aren't pulling through a manifold are you?

6. lytning

lytning I'm not old, I just woke up this way

Its got a great warranty.

7. jamesyarbrough

I tried it with 3 different manifolds. With and without core tools. And 3 different vacuum pumps.

The only thing the pump had on it today was the vacuum gauges when i tested them......let me back up.

Been having problems for a while and couldnt narrow it down. Today im working with an old guy and hes doing a vacuum. He doesnt use core tools and mounts the gauge to the pump and then blocks it off to see where it steadies out at. My gauge kept growing indefinitely. From 200 - 2700.

I put just the gauge on his pump and then valved it off. Same thing! Grabbed his 20 year old thermistor and it held. Then the thermistor said the unit that i couldnt vacuum down was holding 500 microns!

I sent the manufacturer an email. Maybe ill hear back??? Im pretty much fed up with all the "top of the line" bull shit out there thats american made with awesome warranty. I just want something that works! Not a guaranteed pos. Eff sending stuff back and going threw the hassles. When it was new it tested within 50 microns of all the thermistors in the shop. Tells me they are all pretty much the same. But the thermistors are still working after 20 years.

Its just a sales pitch and im sick of being suckered into this new bullshit. I cant afford to buy shit 3 and 4 times

8. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

9. Chuck

Chuck SSP

How do you know that his gauge was accurate? I've had multiple Thermal gauges all read vastly different when connected to the same pump.

You do what makes you happy, but I can tell you from personal experience that the bluvac is telling you the truth. I hated it until I found the problems in my vacuum setup.

Going back to an analog gauge is going to make it easy because they are so slow to respond that you think you're vacuum is holding. And hooking the gauge directly at the pump is stupid, it doesn't show you what the micron level is in the system.

10. jamesyarbrough

I know i have a leak in the set up somewhere.
    Today the only thing common was my gauge. My gauge rose to 1500 in less than a minute. His held steady for 10 mins.

11. chucko615

chucko615 Banned camp counselor

James. try pulling a vacuum on a recovery cylinder or something bigger.

12. chucko615

chucko615 Banned camp counselor

Jim Bergman did a test to show the difference, but I can't find the video right now

13. jamesyarbrough

Ok ill give it a shot tomorrow. I might try a standing pressure test too.

14. lytning

I have 2 bluvacs. When the pressure rises to a few thousand microns I have a leak. Usually its in metal adaptor piece. Are you using vacuum rated hoses?
    Ball valves usually leak under vacuum. Especially the YJ ones.

15. jamesyarbrough

Just got a call from the manufacturer at 9 am. Gonna send it in and then go from there.

16. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

You got ESP there bud?

You say he called at 9am, and your post time was 8:49:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Zman likes this.
  17. jamesyarbrough

I was in an attic. Pardon me for being close enough. Lmao!

18. jamesyarbrough

Yep i always unhook the ball valves. Mine frost all the time....

So the adapter is prone to leaking? Bad solder joint or o rings? Hope i didnt waste $40 on UPS over that dang adapter! The orings looked good...

19. lytning

Always been the O rings with mine.

20. jamesyarbrough

Thanks for the tip. I went ahead and ordered new o rings for my manifold, adapter and appion core tools. Probably should have got some nylog, but i forgot. Hopefully i can get this sorted out.