1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Brazing rod

Discussion in 'Residential' started by Bob Hubbard, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Professional Bicker er

2. Chuck

Chuck SSP

My boss got some. Didn't flow very good. Pipe has to be super shiny clean. He now buys 15% again since I charge by flat rate and was taking longer due to all the polishing and sometimes re welding a joint.

3. Lurk

Lurk New Member

yikes, from what chuck says...i'm staying the hell away from it, lol

4. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Professional Bicker er

Were you using a b tank or oxy/acc torch's ?

5. Chuck

Chuck SSP

oxy/acc.

6. Snoring Beagle

Snoring Beagle Need Little - Want Less - Love More

It works cause we got guys that use it. I prefer the 15%.

I am not sure but I think I remember a time in a class I was giving some high school kids one of them was actually using propane to solder a 1/4" swege fitting on copper using that 0% silver stuff and I was going nooooo... with what? You did? Show me...

7. jpb2

jpb2 Dog Tard *

A lot here have went from 15 to 6%. I have used both with my limited skills I cant tell much difference but I have only done copper to copper joints and nothing at all tricky. Oxy/acc is the only way to go imho

8. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

Actually is been out for a long time they used to call it Phosco, phosphorus and copper, I've used it a bunch, works good, I've never had to clean the copper any better than silphos, but it is more susceptible to cracking with any vibration

9. iron

iron we men are wretched things

propane?
    I have seen 6% done with mapp gas before but only on small pipe.

10. oroy54

oroy54 New Member

Harris has been around along time... But like someone said.. Nice and shiney. 5% sticks will do radiators.. It takes some acid to clean copper oxides.