1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Carrier I-Vu question

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by otto, Dec 7, 2017.

1. otto

otto Bakery Chef

I have a customer with a Carrier I-Vu BAS system. They gave me a user name & password that I can use on site, they are not yet set up for remote access. I will be there to do PM work on the rooftop units. They have VFD's in the units. I know I shouldn't just kill power to the RTU and want to disable it in I-Vu but just could not figure out how to do that.
    Can someone please help me here? I'm sure it must be easy but I just couldn't figure out how.

2. frozensolid

frozensolid Psychologist's Dream

Depends on the password otto. If they did not give you the highest level you will not be able to do that.

3. refrigerationtech

refrigerationtech Nut Case!

no inside service switch? I think you possibly could kill main power. just wait for the vfd to power down. don't turn off and back on. that should not cause vfd to detect surge or have issues.

Chuck likes this.
  4. NZ All Blacks Fan

NZ All Blacks Fan Just Another swinging Dick

you may have to manually stop the vfd putting it into local control then stop - but on some carriers the vfd is in a shiatty location for access
    Ive always wondered what happens in a power outage with this setup you know

5. doc havoc

doc havoc A cunning linguist

Forgive my ignorance, but what happens if you short cycle a VFD off/on?

6. otto

otto Bakery Chef

He said he gave me highest access

7. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

On a good drive that’s programmed properly, Nothing.
    The motor should ramp down to 0 and after a short delay start back up to its last command.

doc havoc likes this.
  8. refrigerationtech

refrigerationtech Nut Case!

Doc havoc hey there no ignorance. I saying not to turn it on and off due to inrush current may screw things up or set off/Tripp it off on alarm. Not good on Vfd or even anything matter fact

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

doc havoc likes this.
  9. otto

otto Bakery Chef

I have been told that a VFD should be turned off at the control or command/enable to allow it to turn itself off and not to interrupt main power.

10. otto

otto Bakery Chef

I don't think I have access to the parameters to shut equipment on & off. They did set up the remote access and gave me a password. I will find out more later. Maintenance is done for now so I won't be back for 3 months.

11. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

I’ll bet you forget the password!!

12. HMD

HMD does it matter?

upload_2017-12-7_17-38-42.jpeg

A/C guy's girl and doc havoc like this.
  13. HMD

HMD does it matter?

the 500hp schneiders i have go into a reset able alarm.
    need to wait for the caps to discharge before power on

14. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

15. HMD

HMD does it matter?

:rolleyes:

16. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

if the drive thinks its off and the fan is freewheeling, it could see the motor acting like a generator and think voltage is present when it shouldn't be, and trip a fault code. depends on how the drive is set up.

doc havoc likes this.
  17. heavyevans

heavyevans FNG

I don't understand why anybody would tell you that.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  18. otto

otto Bakery Chef

I hear that they now have disconnects at equipment like exhaust fans and the disconnect has an aux switch to open the demand/enable circuit for the vfd which is remote.

HMD and crackertech like this.
  19. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

I’ve seen that as well

20. heavyevans

heavyevans FNG

Yes, if the disconnect is between the VFD and the motor. It is standard practice to have an aux contact in the disconnect that disables the enable or safety circuit to the drive. Some drives don't care if the motor is connected and some do (they trip out on a fault).
    On the VFD's that don't trip out, they ramp up to full speed because the disconnect is open and the motor has stopped. VFD's are not designed to handle the inrush current that we see on a across-the-line-start which would happen when they are running at full speed and the disconnect is closed on a motor that has stopped.
    If the disconnect is before the VFD it is not a problem.

Zman, doc havoc and otto like this.