1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Central boiler

Discussion in 'New members' started by Tim Reisinger, Oct 6, 2017.

1. Tim Reisinger

Tim Reisinger New Member

I have a question I bought a central boiler Edge 750 and I live in a 2005 double wide that has a Miller furnace and m1m I have an a coil for air conditioning the problem is I need to sit a 120,000 BTU coil in my furnace for my hot water and I have no room I was wondering if it is a good idea to block off my vents for my cold air return cut a hole in the right side of my furnace build a box Slide the coil in then cut grooves or vents into the side of the box so my cold air return will pull over top the furnace and then into my duct work. I'm open to all suggestions I would really like to do it without breaking my line sets thanks

2. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

Your heating your H W with a furnace?

3. jpb2

jpb2 Dog Tard *

Please do not modify or cut your furnace. In a mobile home it is going to be virtually impossible to propperly mount the hot water coil and make this work. Whoever sold you this should know better. I dont like to be the bearer of bad news but its not good. Call a reputable firm and get some help

Zman likes this.
  4. Tim Reisinger

Tim Reisinger New Member

There has to be a way to install a coil on or under that furnace why couldn't I build a custom box for the coil left my furnace 6 in and set it on top of the box

5. knave

knave Undeterred

Wow Tim that’s quite the machine, what else are you heating? 240,000 btus is a lot of boiler.

Also, aren’t these new gasifier outdoor stoves almost cost prohibitive? Seems like the life cycle is shorter than the payback unless you are using it for heating other buildings as well.

Wish you the best but this site is not for DIY, as noted in the sign up info.

Anita sannich likes this.
  6. jpb2

jpb2 Dog Tard *

Many reasons. With all due respect you are in way over your head. As above please call someone to help with this or it's not gonna end well. You have made a big investment .

7. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

if you a really intent on using a boiler, why not just install baseboard heat.

knave likes this.
  8. Tim Reisinger

Tim Reisinger New Member

That would be a lot more work than just modifying my furnace

9. Tim Reisinger

Tim Reisinger New Member

Anything is possible so far I have yet to find something I can't figure out not being cocky just saying where there's a will there's a way I already figured out how I'm doing it I just thought it would be worth a shot to get some other people's input on the situation

10. chucko615

chucko615 Banned camp counselor

Tim, please tell us what kind of "contractor" you are............................because the fall colors are great at bant camp.

crackertech likes this.
  11. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

In the land of HVAC there are a million different setups, all doing the same thing, which is making hot go to cold, always. There are various means for this to occur, but in the end, its about moving heat around. There is simply no way for any of us to know if it can or cannot be done without seeing jobsite conditions. good luck in your endeavor.

Texas-Tech and knave like this.
  12. Chuck

Chuck SSP

I've seen several hot water coils hacked into mobile home furnaces. It's never pretty.

jpb2 and knave like this.
  13. knave

knave Undeterred

X2 and the AC wants to freeze up.

jpb2 and Chuck like this.
  14. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

A wood boiler just for domestic? Seems like a big investment just for a heat exchanger. And there has to be glycol added to the outdoor side. What's that gonna do the the Heat X long term? Seen a couple outdoor wood boilers,but were always used for a storage tank for Domestic and Baseboards for Home comfort.

15. Chuck

Chuck SSP

You should visit the Northwoods

Every imaginable hack job involving wood boilers has been attempted. I made my own outdoor wood boiler 12 years ago and used it for a couple winters then sold it. Last I heard it was still in use.

No glycol needed, that's too expensive lol. Just run the boiler hot all winter and pray that the circ pump doesn't die...

16. Chuck

Chuck SSP

Yes before I got into this trade I had some really brilliant ideas :rolleyes:

17. Chuck

Chuck SSP

Evan remember Tim Kabrick?

18. knave

knave Undeterred

Verrry welll. Yes. Don’t miss.

19. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

Fixed it

20. HMD

HMD does it matter?

....................................................... dots. use them. they are free of charge. some of your tappings are unreadable runons.

doc havoc likes this.