1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Centrifugal rtu

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by pintofstout, May 31, 2017.

1. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

When I was at the BEP I organized for the Operating Engineers, and management hated me, one time I made the comment if they stick me on deep nights I am out of here. Two day later I was informed is was going to deep nights. November isn't a good month to be looking for employment it our trade so I stuck it out.

I slept 5 hours minimum per shift, and no body could find me. The BEP had its own police force, and command center, I slept in the command center mechanical room, between two huge transformers, the 60 cps hum would rock my cradle:lachen::lachen::lachen:

After about 6 months of that they started talking about the possible damage to your brain for being in the area of large magnetic fields, so I found the air handler for waste treatment quite comfy. It wasn't the normal waste treatment (Shit plant) it was for taking the ink and lye out of the press waste water

2. frozensolid

frozensolid Psychologist's Dream

Flange well I am glad you have had luck with them. But to try and compare their trouble to that of carrier xl's is a bit of a reach. I suppose it was to get my Carrier defense up. Well It did not. I have given my opinion if its wrong or contrary to your own fine. Sell the living piss out of them, it makes no difference to me. JMHO

3. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

My point was.....in the early days, the carrier screws were misapplied and misunderstood, and caused grief to carrier guys, not to compare apples/apples. These days, I believe the turbocore has the same issue, especially since they are really tight with information, especially smardt. I think they serve a purpose and do well when properly applied. I don't think they will ever replace heavy metal. :cheers:

EDIT, didn't know you were a Carrier guy, thought you had your own business, lol.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
  4. HMD

HMD does it matter?

2o (100) tonners spinning in a room that used to have (2) 750's and a 500. this job, this bizness........... mechanical joints, solderless reefer piping, oil less compressors, ddc, fan walls, modular chillers, modular condensing boilers, scrolls, screws, plate frames............bean counters are running the show
    at least new freak drives least longer than warranty
    none of this new shit will outlast old school. you may save a few kw, but when it fails, and it will, your phucked!
    sir, it's broke
    it can't be fixed
    you need a new one$$$$$$

mike1020 likes this.
  5. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

I generally don't disagree with your sentiment. old heavy metal machinery did last forever, but at what cost. it was a heavy burden on the bottom line. it was expensive to install and maintain. had we continued down that path, we would need new power plants added online, new utility distribution services and so forth. all of which add heavy burden to our costs, not to mention the possibility of changing the climate, if one is a believer in that religion. with efficiency gains, upgrades are attractive for many reasons.

I see the new tech creating jobs where none existed. I see opportunity to be there and provide service when things fail, that is SORTOF our job, isn't it.....to fix broken ac equipment......

6. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

Yep all that shit is a pita to fix but that's what we get payed to do

mike1020 likes this.
  7. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

Plus the chiller is air cooled and sits outside on the roof

HMD likes this.
  8. Bustawrench

Bustawrench Knucklehead

Absolutley not true.

The fact that you don't want to learn how to work on the new technology is fine, but it doesn't make the new technology junk, or a ripoff.

This stuff has been around, in the field en masse, for a decade and there's more of it getting installed every year. Everybody that deals with it, loves it.......engineers, contractors, end users, building owners.....everybody. Big centrifugals and hundred horsepower belt drive fans are going the way of pork chop boilers and pneumatic controls. Get on the bus or get left behind.

9. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

Not actually on the roof. Or air cooled. Or.... Chiller. Spot on other then that though ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. mike1020

Yes I know yours is an air handler

11. mike1020

I just meant in reply to Bob's post, that not only is most new equipment garbage but rather than keep it inside where it belongs they put it outside

12. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

Oh. Sorry i thought i saw a good opportunity to be a smart ass and get away with it. Hadn't kept up with the thread. My bad. I loose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. otto

otto Bakery Chef

Amazing things going on. If we dealt with that stuff I would love to learn how to work on it. I'm not "stuck in the 70's or even the 80's it's just the time that my customers' equipment was manufactured. I can keep it running until it's time for the final crane lift.