1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

coastal coating

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by flange, Jun 14, 2017.

1. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

I have never purchased rooftops for any sites near the ocean before. we have a small project, 4 units 20 tons each. the cost of the units went up by 5400 bucks each when I asked for that option. two questions.....first does that seem right and second is it worth the extra dough rae me.......discuss please.

2. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

I've used the spray coating mitisubishi and Fujitsu sell.
    Don't know if there worth it.
    You know where I am, 5 - 71/2 years and consider replacing with little maintenance

3. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

It didn't work worth a crap in Fl

somedude likes this.
  4. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

Nothing works in Fl!

5. Joey791

Joey791 New Member

It depends, my service manager when I started out had a coating business too, I used to work after hours for him tearing apart anything from water cooled package units to Flotronic chillers. We used Heresite and Carboline, I don't think we ever coated just the coils, we always took everything completely apart to paint and before you could paint we had to clean everything with a special cleaner to make sure there was no loose oil or dirt that would mess with the paint, nothing was dipped, all coated in a paint booth. Is that the price from the factory or after hitting a speciality coating company? I have a few connections with some guys that do some good jobs if you want or need them.

22blood likes this.
  6. flange

its factory price, condenser coil only, per unit. the old units don't have it and are about twelve or so years old...within two miles of the atlantic ocean, between the bay and ocean. I'm not paying the extra vig for it.

7. jays 65

jays 65 New Member

i work at a wastewater plant with some pretty corrosive chemicals. coated trane package units have held up well

8. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

Most new units have microchannel condensers now.

Are these microchannel units? I wonder how they hold up?

9. flange

yes. those are aluminuminum, right, I think.
    Salt Damage on Aluminum
    All metals will corrode in the presence of salts. Though aluminum does not exhibit rusting like steel does, it will develop a chalky film and pitting in the metal surface when exposed to salt for long periods. A neutral soap and water wash will help remove the oxidized film. If the oxidation has built up for a long time, a buffing wheel will help remove it from the aluminum surface. To stop the corrosive effects, however, you must apply a protective coating to the aluminum and keep the coating maintained over time.

10. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

Come out to the beach house and we'll discuss it further

11. flange

my beach house has the same issue. it was built in 2009 and the condensers look like chit already. got any r22 condensers sitting around....I need a three and two twos.

12. somedude

somedude Senior Stalker & PITA, aka zachhvac

If its trane every single thing they ever sent me 'dipped' leaked

13. chesty puller

chesty puller New Member

Been working in Miami, and Miami Beach for many years, I have not found anything that really stops the salt damage. Doing PMs with simple water, spraying coils is all I can really say slows the corrosion down by removing salt film. Nothing lives long on the beach.

Sent from my Z812 using Tapatalk

14. frozensolid

frozensolid Psychologist's Dream

The Carrier factory Coastal units do in fact last a bit longer. Not a whole lot but they do better. The best is a gold colored coating I just can't remember the name right now I will ask my son and get back to you. That coating does in fact add life to the coils. The units themselves (Sheet metal) still rot like its their job. I just remembered the name Blygold.

Nothing stops So Fla. Corrosion but Blygold does slow it down quite a bit. A resi unit condenser is over $400 to coat Packs even more. Like Chesty said wash them and you have a fighting chance. But no one does.

15. iron

iron we men are wretched things

We use a company called Luvata for units within 5 miles of the ocean
    the last one we did had 2) 10 ton units and 2) 7.5 ton units
    evap and condenser coating and the total price with shipping
    was less then $3500.00

16. Joey791

Joey791 New Member

That would be Carboline

17. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

You could used to order a marine rated coils, they were either solid copper or cupranickle. I only have seen one, somebody ****ed up and ordered it, or it was ordered and they backed out on it. It was a 75 ton condensor, damn that coil was pretty, I was thinking scrap yard:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

18. Joey791

Joey791 New Member

We did a 15 ton Carrier water cooled package unit like that, Carboline evaporator, everything else Heresite coated, the 2 water cooled condensers were pulled and 2 Cupronickel condensers put in their place, it was headed to South America somewheres and sea water was going to be used to cool the unit, that thing looked beautiful when it left. We got it back about a week and a half later, when they were loading it on the boat the rigging snapped and it hit the dock, it was all broke up, so we did it again.

Catpower likes this.
  19. R/HVAC

R/HVAC selfemployed

I was told years ago to spray standard unit coils with scotch guard used for fabric, but have never tried it. Has to be repeated after a year though.

20. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

But your way old and don't know nothing :D

R/HVAC likes this.