1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Condenser fan motors...wtf?

Discussion in 'Residential' started by jamesyarbrough, Aug 16, 2017.

1. jamesyarbrough

jamesyarbrough Amateur Gynecologist

Seems 90% of cfm changes are be a use of failed bearings.
    Just got another one today. Got the call at 500. I had just crawled out from under a house and was covered in mud. I showed up and it's a very old couple. They can barely walk.
    I apologized for my muddy unkempt appearance and they offered me water.

I go out there and the motor is good electrically but locked up. It's an 1/8 up 825 rpm.
    Shit! I don't have ANY 825s left. And it's now 530.

I broke it down. Had Babbitt bearings with oil wicks. Grabbed a fitting brush and brushed up the bearings and then oiled the shit out of it. It ran good. Pulled exact rla.

Then I told them the bad news that I didn't have one and the stores were closed but this might get them by til I can get a new one tomorrow....maybe.

Got me to thinking. Why can't we just stock the end caps for the motors that have Babbitt bearings and bearings for roller bearing motors? Why do I need to carry 15 motors on the van? This is b's

R2D2-TX and Daryl_Dixon like this.
  2. Y7turbo

Y7turbo New Member

I got this one customer, has an old steam unit heater with a bad motor, just like yours it's hard to spin. So, I recommend a new motor like anyone would. He declined the repair. So every year at the start of heating season, he drenches the motor and shaft with wd40, spins it by hand and turns on the switch. He leaves the motor on all winter and never lets it shut off because if it shuts off, it won't start. The thermostat is controlling the fan, so he has to manually turn off the steam supply when it gets too hot in there. Lol 2 freaking winter's and the thing lasted. He's proud of it, I don't blame him, but I found it funny. Sorry to ramble on, your story reminded me of it.

3. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

many guys will use one of those zoom oiler things to squirt oil all over the top bearings at the start of cooling season to counteract dry bearings which have sat all winter. they claim it works wonders and the rate of motor changes is way down.

mike1020 likes this.
  4. 404eh

404eh New Member

Some guy used wd40 and it caught on fire

somedude and Daryl_Dixon like this.
  5. Septua

Septua New Member

You know more about motor construction than me...

I've never gone as far as a teardown...usually just drill holes in the "wick housing" and pump oil into it. Sometimes it works fairly long term.

I can't correct what's already in the field, but I sure quit buying sleeve bearing motors once the 90% factor dawned on me. Nothing but ball bearing units now, and the higher temperature rating. I usually buy the Century 4-in-1, rated at 70˚C. Johnstone S80-126...

Century Motors

6. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Ya gonna need a new fitting brush too.:D

7. QuickRick

QuickRick Proud to be a Deplorable

Guys,

I get the feeling that ball bearing motors last about 8 years normally.

Used to be 3 motors in stock was plenty. (heck, used to be that a new car was $8000 too)

QR

jpb2 likes this.
  8. jamesyarbrough

Ball bearings overheat too and loose the lube.

Had one do this the other day. They NEVER had it serviced and the coil had been clogged for quite some time.

9. R/HVAC

R/HVAC selfemployed

I noticed the oil tube is still on the end bell castings of sleeve bearing motors, just not drilled out anymore. You can pop the end cap of and lube the felt in the middle of the night too.

10. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

You could used to buy (probably still can) just the end bells for 48 frame fan motors, but which is more money two end bells or a new motor

James weren't you the guy bitching about having to replace the compressor in some poor old ladies ancient 9 seer Rheem:rolleyes::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Back a few years ago technicians used to fix machines, seems that was long ago and far away

jamesyarbrough and Joeysmith like this.
  11. jamesyarbrough

Yeah I was. It just seems like i could carry alot less crap than 12 motors.

Costs them about the same after I spend an hour fixing one thow

Catpower likes this.
  12. QuickRick

QuickRick Proud to be a Deplorable

Can't you tell that this one will get solved by technology because it's so badly needed?

QR

13. Catpower

Back in 1980 when I started at DPCO, the service manager had a little drinking problem and apparently the Ajax motor rep gave him a fix if he bought their motors, and he bought a slew of them, they were the sorriest ****ing motors ever made, I don't think one of them cleared warranty, I had one I could never figure out, when I installed it it was running the right direction, a few days later they called with no cooling, so I go out the ****er was running backwards, I switched the wires, and it reversed, so I said **** it and few days later same call it was running backwards

So I said **** it and went to Carrier and got the right motor

Then I went to the parts room took all the Ajax motors and threw them in the dumpster :lachen::lachen:

14. Daryl_Dixon

Daryl_Dixon New Member

You've pinpointed the reason why we change parts rather than rebuilding components.

The cost of labor has become disproportionately more expensive than the cost of the parts.

American Labor is more valuable than Chinese/Mexican parts.

This was one of the reasons I got out of residential.

"You're igniter is old and your inducer is squeaky. That'll be $1000. Or I can just send out a Comfort Adviser."

15. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

...or for $1,000 we can send out a Chinese or a Mexican Comfort Adviser. Satisfaction Guaranteed!:)

16. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

My dad would oil the condenser fan motor on their 1989 Heat Controller outdoor unit every year, if you didn't oil it, it wouldn't work.

Don't use WD-40, it's a terrible lubricant. Zoom spout works a lot better.

I finally put in a new motor and the damn new motor run a week and died.

So I bought another new motor and that one was fine.

R2D2-TX and Catpower like this.
  17. R2D2-TX

R2D2-TX New Member

Used to work for a company in the 70's that would only buy the cheapest condenser fan motors...
    The only way to reverse the rotation was to swap the end bells to reverse the polarity... ghetto motors

Catpower and crackertech like this.
  18. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

I hate that

19. Catpower

And then the wires would be in the way

20. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

No it can be done