1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Damn I'm wore out

Discussion in 'Residential' started by jamesyarbrough, Dec 8, 2017.

1. jamesyarbrough

jamesyarbrough Amateur Gynecologist

Went to this house last summer. Amana 2 speed 5 ton heat pump with zoning. Compressor failed. It was on its 3rd. Replaced the compressor and went over the duct work. Ductwork was shit. Had about enough air for a 4 ton. Told him it needed duct work and to delete the shitty zoning system. It had 2 7inch supply on one zone (2 bed rooms furthest from the unit. 75 feet actual duct length) Every time that zone called alone it shut off on low suction.

Evidently the zoning was a band aid for shitty supply duct. He says the guys came back a bunch of times and could never figure it out. One of those times they installed a 16 inch round duct bipass.

So we finally got the call to fix it. I deleted all the zoning shit, installed a new supply plenum, installed 2 more 14 inch returns with 14x20 filters and plenums in those rooms I spoke of because they never keep up. Then i wyed the 14s into a 16 (that was a mother****er) Those rooms were on a run of 10 inch that went 50 feet and split to two 7s. I went ahead and replaced the first 25 feet of that run with 12 inch. Then I put 90s on all the flex entering the plenum to get rid of the slack from their long ass bends. Its not perfect. Supply is still under sized. But now instead two 16 inch returns it has 3 at the unit. I wanted to add more but there's no place to put the shit. It really needed about 3 18s and to upsize all the supply. But I didn't have to go ahead for that

This was the worst attic to work in. I'm not going to go into it but it was a mother****er with a bunch of crawling and working in tight spaces. My partner is 60. Good tech but slow as ****. We been there 2 days for a one day job and spent about 900 on materials. The home owner was expecting a $1500 job.....yeah bout double that!

Time for some beer. I'm sore as ****

oroy54, Catpower, Jon and 3 others like this.
  2. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

If you are going to do all that work you should have done it right with all sheet metal,screw flex

3. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Sounds like a Good Size House! The Home owner shouldn't Squeak about the Cost to do it correctly. If You can't afford the Upkeep,you can't afford the House! Koodose to you for making it Right. :thumb:

4. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

But then again,the original Contractor should of Done it Right!

jpb2 likes this.
  5. jamesyarbrough

the original contractor is a joke. I know who did it and I've seen his work before.

It still ain't right. But it might make better than a season before the compressor fails. :lachen:

6. jamesyarbrough

Lmao! Yeah that will never happen. My boss ain't going for it and nobody wants to pay 10k for a duct job

lions_lair99 and oroy54 like this.
  7. oroy54

oroy54 New Member

Good answer James.

8. Joeysmith

Joeysmith New Member

Sounds about like the coil cabinet we replaced the other day. IMG_20171205_132234436.jpg

jpb2 likes this.
  9. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

Dude you are selling duct work, not big blue wire nuts:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

jamesyarbrough likes this.