1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Direct Fired Burner

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by mike1020, Nov 18, 2017.

1. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

What do all y’all do when the orifices rust shut on a direct fired burner?

We’ve tried drill bits but it’s awfully easy to snap them off. We’ve also tried hex keys but that’s a pain in the ass and they don’t work well when the hole is completely rusted shut.

I tried using a punch and hammer and it was quick and worked really well.

85B52042-A015-4B4F-8ABB-2785765DB3E2.jpeg

2. mike1020

Before in high fire

6E831E77-3006-41E7-AE27-810765489C48.jpeg

After in high fire

C2ED33BB-2040-4722-8B2B-72ABCA6D81C9.jpeg

3. Chuck

Chuck SSP

I always use drill bits. Yes always break several and bill them to the customer.

I never had a punch the right size. Good idea

4. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

What is that on?

Do Y'all ever work on grain driers? They are an expedience, especially the continuous flows or big batch driers. We had an MC continuous flow with 3 27 million BTU burners it took a 125 HP tractor to pull all the fans, and talk about energy wasted, we had a 300 gal fuel tank rigged up for the tractor, and somebody going 24 hrs exchanging 1000 gallon LP nurse tanks, they would us ammonia tanks for the LP we would pull three at a time to Coop, bet the DOT would let that happen now days :lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

They fired off on vapor and then you switched them to liquid LP. One time I was having a hard time getting one of the burners to light, so I said **** it and switched all three to liquid mother ****er talk about a delayed ignition, I thought the ****er was going to explode (it kind of did)

They used a spark plug for the ignitors, with about 8 inch long electrodes the culprit was the middle burners porcelain was cracked

What was kind of cool was if the corn was pretty wet when we combined it we would run the drier after it had gotten real cold, it could be -20F and when working around the drier you were in a tee shirt and the grass was still green:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

5. coldsnap

coldsnap -20 on the money

I use drill bits or hex keys. Punch is a good idea

6. mike1020

Menards has punches down to 1/16 of an inch

7. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

:mrbill::mrbill::mrbill:

8. Chuck

Chuck SSP

I have had a total of one calls on grain driers

9. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

I don't think they used them like they used to, better genetics makes the crops mature sooner so they can dry on the stalk, and bigger combines so they can wait until the last minute to let it dry more

When we had a big front moving in we would run the combine day and night, it was a 7700 John Deere it was huge for the time it was built, it would combine about 2500 bushels per hour with good corn.We had extensions on the grain tank to make it hold 275 bu, it had an 8 row head on it, and in good corn when cutting out the lands the corn would run over the top because you couldn't get a truck beside you to dump. If I recall right 8 rows wide by 80 rods was an acre, in good years we had quite a bit of ground that would put out more than 300 BPA especially when we had turkeys on a field

Damn I miss working my ass off on the farm:lachen::lachen::lachen:

But I wouldn't change it for nothing, it gave you good work ethics

crackertech likes this.
  10. Chuck

Chuck SSP

They still use them a lot in Wisconsin, not usually enough time to dry down in the field.

11. 22blood

22blood red wire nuts only

Ive just mapp torched them red hot then give em a tap

12. Sdeery

Sdeery Machinist in training

Never worked on one, any chance you can point me towards any info on them?

sdeery

13. knave

knave Undeterred

14. Sdeery

Sdeery Machinist in training

Thanks.
    Is oxygen depletion a concern with these?

sdeery

15. knave

knave Undeterred

They use 100% outdoor air so it’s not usually an issue.

16. Chuck

Chuck SSP

Except for the ones that have return ducts

Bustawrench likes this.
  17. mike1020

Like Evan said, not all, but most are usually on 100% outside air units. There is a lot of fresh air being pulled in.

And the burners run very clean.

Plus a lot of the places that use the units are welding shops, kitchens, automotive shops, etc.... so there is already a lot of fumes and stench in there already lol

18. mike1020

Another subject that’s unrelated

But I was working at Target and they were pushing around their propane powered floor scrubber and my personal co alarm kept going off no matter where I was in the store.

Chuck likes this.
  19. Chuck

Chuck SSP

I should clarify, even on the units with return air the burner is in the fresh air stream and building air is injected beside or downstream of the burner. Usually used with a photohelic to control building pressure.

20. mike1020

What really causes the shit to hit the fan is when a gas valve sticks open on a direct fired unit.

Everyone says it’s impossible for a gas valve to stick open, but I saw it with my own eyes.

Catpower likes this.