1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Finishing another techs service call

Discussion in 'Refrigeration' started by Rather B Riding, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

I hate going to finish what another tech started but I agreed to it to help out my SC. So after I already said yes she tells me there's a motor and blade in will call and the old motor and bracket are at the shop. After hitting the supply house and the shop she tells me the motor was replaced by another tech before the 2nd call where the blade came off. Yadda yadda... Just send the ticket. I'll figure it out when I get there. Then I see the address. Its right in the middle of down town. I hate downtown. Mondays..... The Monday suck factor just hit 9. I looked at the old motor and the new motor. 16w 115v CW. They match and I'm off to downtown. After 6 laps trying to find parking within 4 blocks I made it to the customer. He points to the reach in freezer. What the hell its running. Temps at 45°. Condenser has 2 fans and the last tech let it run all weekend. I start putting the motor on the bracket and the condenser fan that still in drops out. It hot as a firecracker. A quick glance at the nomenclature 115v. Pull the condenser out to get a look. Fan that's in it is 115v. I looked at the compressor and said there is no way that semi herm is 115v. A second look at the nomenclature and I'm like son of a b..... I need 2 new motors. I hate Mondays. How did the first and second tech miss this? Its confusing but damn. I admit I missed it at first. It is Monday but the failed watt motors had the voltage on the back. WTF Now that I'm home guess what I'm drinking? IMG_20171016_125904102.jpg

2. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

I had to look a couple times,why in the **** would they put 120 on the ****ing tag?

I would have just wired them in series and let the next guy figure it out:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

knave, Chuck, LemonWizard and 2 others like this.
  3. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

Plus it's a Master-Bilt, so that's strike three lol

Rather B Riding and LemonWizard like this.
  4. LemonWizard

LemonWizard Blinky Lights Wizard

Had to do a double take as well. W.T.F.

Rather B Riding likes this.
  5. R/HVAC

R/HVAC selfemployed

I would suppose your the lead tech. That kind of stuff goes with the territory. Nice catch

6. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Could be worse. Could a been a Monday... wait,oops!

7. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak New Member

I ran across a pair of kitchen exhaust fans wired for 115v in series a few years ago. It had me going for a little bit. I have no clue why as they were both dual voltage motors and had a 240 supply.

Zach

Catpower likes this.
  8. 404eh

404eh New Member

Masterbilt only wants to make 1 sticker

9. newtech

newtech 636

So when the original tech went out to change the motor, did he have to turn off the breaker? If so he should have known that it was a 208/220/240 circuit.

mike1020 likes this.
  10. mike1020

Some of those are weird with some stuff on 120 volts and some stuff on 230

They should have looked at the old motors lol

11. LemonWizard

LemonWizard Blinky Lights Wizard

This is what most people would do, yes. Mostly out of habit of the equipment label being destroyed from age/abuse.

12. Rather B Riding

There was a switch on the control panel turned off everything.

13. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Unless...the old motors were already replacements,and were wrong.

14. mike1020

Then...... the guy who replaced them the first time should have looked.

15. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

run a temporary neutral and split the 230 up to power 115 to each motor. order two new ones and come back later at your leisure

16. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

"Should have", being the key phrase there.

17. Rather B Riding

This is the problem with refrigeration. At least the small stuff. Figuring out what the last hack did and correcting it can be challenging. Nothing like making things harder than they have to be.

mike1020 likes this.
  18. Daryl_Dixon

Daryl_Dixon New Member

I always had a problem with lazy worthless techs from out of the area going to my sites and treating them like dumping grounds. Screws tossed, bottles on the roof, cigarette butts, panels improperly secured, hacky-ass work...all because they wouldn't have to see the place again.

Pissed me off something fierce.

19. Chuck

Chuck SSP

Why get pissed? It makes me look even better than my normally awesome self when the last guy there was a hack.

mike1020 likes this.
  20. Jon

Jon Team Canada

How does it feel to follow up behind MTH ? :D

knave and mike1020 like this.