1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Fluke - repair cost is ridiculous!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by ct_hvac_tech, Mar 11, 2012.

1. ct_hvac_tech

ct_hvac_tech I specialize in kicking ass.

I have an older Fluke meter model 79 III. Worked just fine until part of the display stopped working. I guess some of the LED's burned out or soldering connections came loose.

I called fluke to see how much it would cost to send out and have fixed and they wanted $175 to repair it and $198 if I wanted to go a step further and have a "certificate of re-calibration" or some shit.

I looked into a new fluke meter and I can get a brand new fluke 116 for about $180.

Money hungry jackasses.

2. Lurk

Lurk New Member

that's a shame, that they've become a disposable meter.

if it is cheaper to replace than fix, it's now disposable (in my opinion).

i miss the GOOD OLD DAYS of five year, or ten year, or lifetime warranties.

it's a damn shame that everything is disposable now.

3. iron

iron we men are wretched things

my Fluke is like a brother
    I do not care for the cost
    I will pay whatever to have my old trusted friend returned to me once again

4. refrigerationtech

refrigerationtech Nut Case!

get rid of that brother and get a new one :). well one of my collueges he got one meter repaired at almost half the cost. well 4 mnths it died. no warranty after that. 90 days i think.

5. otto

otto Bakery Chef

Have a back-up meter.
    [​IMG]

6. Lurk

Lurk New Member

holy crap! i never thought i'd see another one of those.

i learned on that at tech school!

7. Tap

Tap i hate it when a velociraptor throws poop at me

8. Phase Loss

Phase Loss IF YOU STAY READY, YOU DON'T HAVE TO GET READY

Same with my Fluke 52-II thermometer.

It would have cost nearly as much as a brand new meter with a new warranty to send it in for repair/calibration.

even the guy at Fluke repair/calibration facility over the phone was saying it's best to just buy a new meter.

9. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

Best meter ever made, somewhere someplace I have one just like that, with the custom "rolltop" case

10. Spotts

Spotts Legend in his own mind.

From a MFG standpoint, think of the cost of a repair, compared to New. I would bet the repair has much more cost than the replacement.

11. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

But back to Fluke, they have a program they call repair by replacement, if you ship your old one in they will sell you a new one quite a bit cheaper than you can find in the supply house

At least that's what they told me when my Fluke digital psychrometer died

The POS was 3 yrs old, and had been used 2 times in it's life, now I just put water on my sling and let 'er rip, looks more professional, like I'm actually doing something

Really though I have a calibrated finger, I can spit on it and hold it in the air and tell you RH, wet bulb, dry bulb, and dew point:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

12. Spotts

Spotts Legend in his own mind.

Thats just what I was thinkin Catman.

13. I_A_G

I_A_G New Member

Hey stumbled across this forum and thought that i would add my two cents.

My Fluke 1651 started to display "Err 1" and would not function at all, I contacted Fluke (uk) and they wanted me to send it off to be repaired and a new calibration certificate issued for around £140... which as the original poster says, its ridiculous!

I was very lucky that a friend of mine introduced me to the guys over at Fluke Repair Service, they were able to inform me that Err 1 is a very common fault with the 165x series, usually caused by the "calibration constants" becoming corrupted.

They were able to repair the fault, and have my tester back to me in less than 5 days, they also gave me a backup of the calibration constants, cleaned and serviced the tester inside and out, and issued me with a new certificate, all for under £100.

Bit annoyed with fluke, however its a great tester that I wouldn't be without, and the guys over at Fluke Repair Service give me great peace of mind, knowing that I can get my gear repaired and serviced without it costing an arm and a leg...

14. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

"Safety never takes a break", and you would be well avised ot have a properly functioning meter. As others have stated, manufacturing these days is less costly than paying a repair guy to sit in a shop and do repairs. The labor and overhead (burden rate) is much higher than that of manufacturing. make the best choice for you, knowing full well a perfectly functioning meter could be the difference between life or death. how much is your life worth?

15. DPSwitch

DPSwitch Forget the hearse....

I have a fluke 77, dont even know how old it is.. bought it used when I was alot younger... put it through hell.. now its a backup but I can understand, I would probably try to get it fixed... me and that thing have been through a bunch of real bad days together...lol
    [​IMG]

16. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

That was a damn good meter.

17. DPSwitch

Hell yeah... tough as hell. Its not going to perform like todays meters but it still aint bad.

18. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

Mine is at the farm were I grew up maybe someday I'll drive the 1200 + miles to get it.

19. DPSwitch

I blew the fuse in it once.... I thought it was a gonner...lol

20. Bustawrench

Bustawrench Knucklehead

Yup.

I've got a pile of fluke meters, don't think I've managed to actually break one yet.

They may be the only tool in this trade I haven't broken yet, come to think of it.