1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Goodman heat pump wiring

Discussion in 'Residential' started by ct_hvac_tech, Aug 2, 2012.

1. ct_hvac_tech

ct_hvac_tech I specialize in kicking ass.

1 - Are goodman heat pumps reversing valves energized in heat or cool? This particular condenser has an O terminal. I forget which is which when it comes to O and B.

2 - what is the W2 terminal for? I'm assuming something to do with heating but why is it needed if the reversing valve is energized (or not?)

3 - why is it called W2? All the diagrams say to wire it to the W terminal of the AHU, and to the W terminal of the stat. I always thought of W2 as a 2nd heat stage but the system in question is single stage HP only.

I am a heat pump rookie so need a little help lol.

This particular system is a goodman condenser, with a first company air handler and a Honeywell focus pro 6000 thermostat.

What I want to happen is for the heat pump to be the primary (stage 1) stage and the oil fired boiler (this AHU has a hot water coil) to be the second stage.

So, my next question is, do these condensers have a tstat in them that suts them down once it gets below a certain temp? Or would I have to wire in an outdoor sensor? Also, does the oil heat get hooked up to the emergency stage?
  2. Swampfox

Swampfox Trailer Trash

energized in cooling, most every brand is except rheem/ruud

its to activate the auxiliary heat in defrost mode

Y is the first stage heat, so typically the aux heat is W2 or second stage

Goodman doesnt have an outdoor thermostat, what you need is a dual fuel kit, or better yet, a thermostat that has dual fuel capability, the Honeywell 8000 with an outdoor temp sensor would make things a lot easier, you just set it up to operate dual fuel and you are done.
  3. Swampfox

Swampfox Trailer Trash

if the water coil is after the heat pump coil, you can run both simultaneously, id hook it up conventionally and let it roll, use W2 and E to activate the boiler
  4. ct_hvac_tech

So do I jumper w2 and E?
  5. jrbenny

jrbenny New Member

6. ct_hvac_tech

Thanks. Also, is there such a thing is like a thermistor I could get to wire in series that would shut the condenser down once the outdoor ambient got below a certain temp?
  7. Swampfox

Swampfox Trailer Trash

You can add an outdoor thermostat that will do that, Goodman OT18-60 I think in the part number
  8. IslandTech

IslandTech working on it

Isnt Y cool, B com, G fan, O reversing valve, W heat, W2 secondary heat either strip or used on dual fuel? Thats how most Heat Pumps are:headscratch:
  9. ISOTHERMAL

ISOTHERMAL senior member

Y=compressor period

It is not necessarily heat or cool that would depend on if the unit uses O or B.

Some stats have W, some don't
    Some haveW1, some don't
    Some have W2, some don't
    Some haveW3, some don't
    Some have E, some don't

lots of varibles
  10. IslandTech

IslandTech working on it

Too many variables, I was starting to like the infinity 4 wire systems, but I havent run accross one here yet
  11. jrbenny

jrbenny New Member

Your VP8000 has settings for that. Just have to connect the outdoor sensor to S1 and S2.