1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Gravity deli case

Discussion in 'Refrigeration' started by MOFO the psychic gorilla, Sep 18, 2017.

1. MOFO the psychic gorilla

MOFO the psychic gorilla sitting on two achers

Got one where the guy sees any ice on the coil sends him into a panic. Is there a way to make temp on a gravity coil without ice forming and long off cycle defrosts? No hot gas just off cycle on this one.

mike1020 likes this.
  2. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

nope

3. MOFO the psychic gorilla

Thanks

Do these (not self contained) usually have some kind of gas defrost?

4. crackertech

Most use hot gas or cool gas defrost

5. knave

knave Undeterred

We recently had this issue. Bottom evaps had fans but the top static coil would freeze up. (After we replaced it.)

We added an EPR at the rack to set the coil temp. (It had been running colder than needed at rack pressure)
    Also it had a suction stop for backup temp control and defrost.

Then they still had trouble, ended up with 1 defrost per day at 2:00 am, for about 90 minutes of offtime. And that did the trick eh.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
  6. frozensolid

frozensolid Psychologist's Dream

Buy him an ice pick. :) Seems to be the tool of choice for customers everywhere.

7. 404eh

404eh New Member

It's our fault there's ice though..

8. Jon

Jon Team Canada

If they unload case at night install a switch that shuts off a liquid line solenoid or suction stop and they can power it off at night to defrost and turn on in morning when loading case . If not make sure like knave said you need 1 long defrost 90 minutes is typical

9. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

90 minutes doesn't destroy Product? And what's a suction stop,is it like a solenoid? Works off temp or pressure? Just curious!

10. crackertech

This

Attached Files:

Zman likes this.
  11. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Just never heard it referred to as a suction stop. But I guess that's a good definition.

12. knave

knave Undeterred

For most of that time cold air is falling off the melting ice. The product won't warm up that fast in a closed case.

A suction stop solenoid is just like a liquid line solenoid but on the suction line. it allows the evaporater pressure to go up as the case warms.

The SORIT valve that cracker posted also regulates the evap pressure (and thus the evaporating temperature) during refrigeration.

Zman likes this.
  13. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Now whats a Discharge Stop? :D

14. knave

knave Undeterred

:eek::eek::eek:
    I had to clean a bunch of them out of a sewage ejector pit a few months ago. :chairshot:

LemonWizard likes this.
  15. coldsnap

coldsnap -20 on the money

Air temp and product temp are two different things. I tell customers that when they see units in defrost, especially freezers. We have some old homemade wooden cooler boxes that get 70 or 90 minute defrosts at 2 am. You just have to make sure the defrost clock is at the right time.

16. MOFO the psychic gorilla

This is one case that is two sections screwed together.
    Each section has a tstat and liquid line solinoid.

There is one remote c/u with a defrost timer that looks like it kills power to the c/u. Someone added a accumulator.

Looks like someone installed it as if it was a typical remote piped cooler. (Pipe job is nasty)

It's a new customer and cause I fixed one thing he's got me looking at everything he's been fighting to keep working for years with the last guy.

On this one he was fighting leaks, uneven cooling and freeze ups on this deli case so for starters on the cheep I put in digital stats replacing the mechanical just for ease of fine tuning temp with what they had to work with and replaced the hacked over and over flare txvs to sweat valves.

From where it started from the box is colder than it ever was and ice is light imo for this high use/ air leaky case.

Defrost was set for 45 min 6 pm 12 am 6 am

Haven't been back to see the ice but need to get back cause the ac was hacked too and ran out of time.

One of the complaints about the ice is when it was in defrost the ice would plop off the coil and sometimes hang over the drip pan slightly which would cause a drip down into the case.

The unit had a 12pm defrost setting I suggested removing so at least when it was in defrost they would be closed and the food would be covered.

17. LemonWizard

LemonWizard Blinky Lights Wizard

What is the humidity in the building? Your only option may be to lower that to slow the formation of ice.

18. MOFO the psychic gorilla

Good point. I am headed back to fix the AC :popcorn:

Wasn't something I noticed being a issue though.

19. heavyevans

heavyevans FNG

If you're new to these type of cases. Take a peek under the panels the product is resting on.

20. MOFO the psychic gorilla

This one is a open bottom with short solid doors and a second gravity coil on the back wall.