1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Heat pump

Discussion in 'Residential' started by pintofstout, Oct 27, 2017.

1. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

I know bullox about resi, I've got some basic questions. My brother is building a house and I'm getting him equipment. He's getting a 120,000 btu gas furnace and a 5 ton heat pump.

Actually- why does it seem like heat pumps are always partnered with electric furnaces? Is that like, a thing?. I'm getting gas....

So the supply house started quoting me a straight AC and then i explained what a heat pump was, they had never heard of such a thing and were shocked to see they had one.....

Anyway, they switched the condensing unit on the quote but not the case coil. I said i think there's a different coil, there's gotta be a bypass.

The guy in the office, manager or whatever, he'd heard of heat pumps. Knew all about heat pumps. He came to talk to me. He said it's the same coil. The system shows that is the right coil (i didn't see him check the system at all).

I said what about a bypass, he said i guess you'd have to add that.

So- could someone please counsel me?

Also, the equipment is made by airquest... Do they have a good track record?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. knave

knave Undeterred

Don’t know about Airquest.

Some txv bodies have a bypass built in.

jpb2 likes this.
  3. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

never heard of air quest. the area where I live has heat pumps all over. I had a hard time finding a home with boiler and separate dx cooling systems.

at any rate there are tx valves with built in check valve and bypass. these are bidirectional tx valves used for heatpumps. as to your question, if you plan to use the heatpump as first stage heat then switch to fossil fuel, you will need a special thermostat or dual fuel kit to make controlling it simple. typically they are changed over at your calculated balance point, but some folks just pick an arbitrary number like 40 degrees.

mike1020 likes this.
  4. NZ All Blacks Fan

NZ All Blacks Fan Just Another swinging Dick

I found me balance point the hard way - had a 3 ton hp with an a coil on top of my oil furnace. I put in a 1/2 hp belt drive fan motor - hp always heated the house even when -15 outside ( ran all the time though)
    change to 410A air handler - and new 3 ton cond unit rework the ducting (improved) and now at +1 hp can't keep up add a 4.8 kw elect heat kit and all better . I also added after the fact about 20 inches of insulation on top of 10 inches of insulation in the attic - so hopefully balance point drops a little. next yr new windows should fix all

5. NZ All Blacks Fan

NZ All Blacks Fan Just Another swinging Dick

MAKE SURE THE FURNACE HAS A 5TON blower capacity - they can come shipped for different tonnages

Id also guess trhe furnace 3 inch PVC CPVC vent piping

6. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

Why 120,000btu gas heater with a heat pump? Gas is cheaper than electricity, at least here it is. If he is building the house it should be pretty well built, gas heat would be more effecient.

7. knave

knave Undeterred

NG is cheaper here as well.

8. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

I always thought heat pumps were cheaper. I had a boss who used to go on and on about how it's crazy that people don't use them when they so much cheaper. That was Northern Virginia/DC area, maybe that's why

Rather B Riding likes this.
  9. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

Why the 120k furnace is what I want to know??? Do they still make a 5 ton drive at 120k. 80%??
    The old way of changing over from HP to fossil fuel was an outdoor tstat. Now you can get a indoor stat with outdoor sensor its all you need.
    Make sure the TXV say with internal bypass or for HP.

10. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

So no heat pump, that's easy

thanks guys

11. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

12. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

No
    No
    No

Get the heat pump.
    The cost difference is minimal, down the road cost of fuel changes.

jpb2, newtech and Anita sannich like this.
  13. Chuck

Chuck SSP

I would get the heat pump too.

14. doc havoc

doc havoc A cunning linguist

X3

15. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

depending on your fuel and electric costs they can make sense, especially if used in mild weather then you switch to fossil instead of running toasters for backup. you need to compare prices of kwh and nattie gas. nattie gas wins today but for how long

16. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

Ooh....ok then. Heat pump it is.

Thanks for talking me out of the heat pump and into a nice heat pump....

Lol thanks you guys rule

17. Chuck

Chuck SSP

And yes, most coils come with txvs that have internal bypass and won't meter refrigerant in heat mode. Or pistons which allow full flow in reverse

18. knave

knave Undeterred

Idk... yeah I get it. But I’ve changed more compressors in heat pumps than in ac. Maybe because it doesn’t get hot here.

19. Chuck

Chuck SSP

The way it was there, a heat pump was promised to cut gas usage to nothing so balance points were set extremely low. Those things ran 9 months in heat and 2 months in cooling as opposed to 2 months total for a/c. You're right, the first major repair and all the energy savings were out the window

20. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

For a few extra Hundred, it's a good backup to have for emergencys,even if Nat Gas is the Primary.

Texas-Tech likes this.