1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Heat pump

Discussion in 'Residential' started by pintofstout, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Anita sannich

Anita sannich Exceptionally average

Don't forget a bi-flow filter dryer, and CCH. Does it snow there? If so you'll need to get pump ups for the outdoor unit, should be 2ft above snow level.

2. jpb2

jpb2 Dog Tard *

Dual fuel is awesome. 5 ton is a large system. Make sure of 2 things. Consider 1 more.
    1. He really needs 5 tons
    2. Whatever he gets make sure it is ducted propperly.
    Consider multi stage equipment. Single stage even propperly sized will be oversized 90% of the time

3. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

Working for a small res/comm company, the owner wanted to be a geothermal dealer. Sent a few of us to school and we were a WaterFurnace dealer. Those units have all the bells and whistles for high efficiency. The problem I saw was that you would need to get 25 years out of the systems with very little to no service calls on it to see the savings. Seems like a big pair of dice to roll. 4-5 times the cost up front and you wait 20 years to get your money back. As a service tech I've seen winners and losers. Bad fan motor after 20 years and no other issues winner. A leak in the loop after 4 years loser. Leaking coil, failed TXV, failed compressor. As a tech I saw more losers than winners. Let's face it equipment breaks down otherwise we would all be in sales and installation.

mike1020, Zman, Catpower and 2 others like this.
  4. jpb2

jpb2 Dog Tard *

Geo, in our area, is not a great investment for savings now that the tax breaks are gone. The math doesnt work unless utility costs increase dramatically each year. I agree the above statement as well. One major repair kills the savings but that is true with anything

5. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

One other reason to have gas backup is ice storms. We seem to have one every 5 years or so and with a gas house a 5-6 kw genset will run the whole shebang, but not the heat pump. When our power is off our 6 kw genset will keep us running like nothing has happened

And as far as maintenance costs go, I would tell people up front there was a good chance that for every dollar they save on the electric bill or more could end up being paid to a service company to repair the system because of the extended run times

But since he is your Bro, and family thinks we work for nothing go ahead and put it in:lachen::lachen:

Anita sannich and Texas-Tech like this.
  6. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

My house had a HP with LP gas furnace and Nat was no available when I bought it. I replaced the equipment with the same. I just stepped up the furnace to a 2stage 90%. LP prices got high during Pres O. It is nice to save on gas in mild temps and I really saw the difference between a cold winter and a mild one. There's Nat available now and the system is 12 yo I don't know if I'll keep the HP or not after I change the house over to Nat.

7. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

+1

But like @Chuck said it might just be because they run way more

jpb2 likes this.
  8. mike1020

Now that you mention it, that may be the reason so many heat pump compressors die here.

Most outdoor units here just sit on the ground or 4" pump ups and are probably partially buried in snow all winter, lol

Anita sannich and Zman like this.
  9. Jon

Jon Team Canada

Wtf is a pump up?

10. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Same around Here!

11. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Stupid looking round cylinder type supports for condenser units. Some pads have them built in. But they still look Goofy!

jpb2 likes this.
  12. knave

knave Undeterred

Pump up is to snow legs

Dart is to cigarette, eh buddy?

13. mike1020

It's for a chainsaw

****in Canadians. I'm surprised you didn't know that.

Zman likes this.
  14. mike1020

You probably never learned how to cross check properly either

15. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

I thought they were High Heel shoes that some Gals wear to make their caboose stand out!

Catpower likes this.
  16. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

j1iHmQF.jpg

Catpower likes this.
  17. Jon

Jon Team Canada

18. Jon

Jon Team Canada

IMG_0715.GIF

Anita sannich likes this.
  19. Jon