1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Heat pump

Discussion in 'Residential' started by pintofstout, Oct 27, 2017.

1. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

tumblr_m3vqmjnRii1rq3i3ro7_400.gif

Jon likes this.
  2. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

Thank you for that, i hadn't thought of that and whoever installs it probably wouldn't have either. We get lots of snow here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

this will be one of the few properly sized units out there, our load calc guy did a heat loss on it

jpb2 likes this.
  4. Anita sannich

Anita sannich Exceptionally average

Another thing to consider is that in the winter there's a lot of water that comes off that outdoor coil so it's going to be icey if its set some place where water can pool, so don't put it right by a door or something. Anytime I went on a heat pump service call it was obvious which heat pump wasn't working cuz there wasn't a giant icicle around the bottom of it

Daryl_Dixon likes this.
  5. jpb2

jpb2 Dog Tard *

Device when the blue pill fails

6. Jon

Jon Team Canada

:tmi:

7. jamesyarbrough

jamesyarbrough Amateur Gynecologist

I didn't see any one mention this but I didnt proof read every post.

If your he'll bent on using a heat pump with gas aux (dual fuel, we call it) you wanna mount the coil on the return side of the furnace. You dont need 180°f air running over your condenser in heat mode when aux is calling as well.

I had to work on a couple of these. Stupidest system on the planet if you ask me. Man would be better off with 2 stage 90% furnace.

8. jamesyarbrough

A wood stove is a better back up. It will heat without electricity or gas

9. doc havoc

doc havoc A cunning linguist

A dual fuel control will/should lock out the heat pump when aux heat is called for. That's the main purpose of the dual fuel control.

jpb2 likes this.
  10. jpb2

jpb2 Dog Tard *

Not when done propperly

11. jamesyarbrough

idiots around here are running them on heat pump stats. We don't sell or install dual fuel. But we will wash the coil and change a cap.

Still don't see many tho. I've seen two. And of coarse they were Trane. I was double happy.

jpb2 likes this.
  12. Chuck

Chuck SSP

Don't put the coil in the return.

A dual fuel heat pump thermostat will not allow both gas heat and compressor to run at the same time. If that's happening, someone didn't set it up right.

Catpower, Rather B Riding and jpb2 like this.
  13. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

yeah there's no way i would allow that, I'll be doing the controls and that's it

jpb2 and jamesyarbrough like this.
  14. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

Never I mean never put the coil on the return side of a gas furnace. Only saw it one time but the system was only 1 yo and they installed the coil under the furnace just as it would be if it were an electric furnace. The condensation almost eat the heat exchanger out in 1 season. The cold air will rot out the primary heat exchanger from the inside out. A fossil fuel kit prevents the HP from running with the furnace.

LemonWizard, jpb2 and Catpower like this.
  15. Chuck

Chuck SSP

So many options for dual fuel thermostats, fossil fuel kits are really a waste of time and money nowadays

jpb2 likes this.
  16. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

You're right I put a HW 8000 on mine when I put it in but not all stats have the capability of locking out the furnace with the HP running. They still at the same as any 2 stage stat. You get a w2 call you're getting both. Most equipment mfg have fossil fuel kit for less than 100.

17. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

I did dual fuels before dual fuels were cool:lachen::lachen::lachen: (damn I am a poet)

It is real easy with shit on the truck, take a 90-340 relay run a wire from y to a set of normally closed contacts and a wire from w 2 to the coil, when it calls for the furnace it will energize the coil and open the contacts so the heat pump won't run:thumb:

18. Chuck

Chuck SSP

I would rather save the 100 and the extra half hour of installation time.

jpb2 and Rather B Riding like this.
  19. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Agree... except the need to gather,stack and hall in wood. Feed the fire.Clean the ashes. Have a separate chimney. Have most of the Heat concentrated in one room.Have a safe place to install. And get approved by the insurance company,so they cover the cost of a rebuild if something goes wrong...But nothing beats the smell of a good wood fire! :D

20. jpb2

jpb2 Dog Tard *

I like the vision pro 8000 and a wireless outdoor sensor. Easy and clean

doc havoc likes this.