1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Heat pump

Discussion in 'Residential' started by pintofstout, Oct 27, 2017.

1. jamesyarbrough

jamesyarbrough Amateur Gynecologist

Wow! Guess that's one of them times what they write in the books at school don't work in real life.

doc havoc likes this.
  2. doc havoc

doc havoc A cunning linguist

Yep. When we get to that section of the text I have them cross/scribble it out and explain the reasoning. It is kind of stupid that the very textbook they are learning from is full of misinformation. We use the Refrigeration for Air Conditioning Technicians text. Modern Refrigeration says the same thing.:nono:

Rather B Riding likes this.
  3. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

My Bro had a wood furnace for many years,it was a high priced one, but it worked real good he could put a 6 foot log in it and it would heat his house for a few days depending on the weather.It had it's own blower, and really did a hell of a good job, he had a rail system to move the logs.

But it still was kind of a PITA but on the farm in the winter there ain't much else to do so he was saving on fuel, and it is a huge old farm house. But if you put the pencil to it he probably didn't save a whole lot, chain saws, gas labor 4 wd pickup etc

4. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

exactly what i was planning to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Catpower likes this.
  5. Chuck

Chuck SSP

There's several mistakes in those textbooks

doc havoc likes this.
  6. Chuck

Chuck SSP

Speaking of dual fuel, a former boss sold a nice American standard heat pump on a wood furnace. :nono:

7. Todd DeWulf

Todd DeWulf New Member

What’s the process to find the balance point?

8. knave

knave Undeterred

Thermal balance point,

Economical balance point,

Or

Comfort balance point?

9. Todd DeWulf

Todd DeWulf New Member

I was thinking in lines of of thermal and economical but our job is comfort.

10. knave

knave Undeterred

Comfort balance point will be around 30°, to keep the supply air above 90°.

Thermal balance point is when the heat pump at 100% runtime will just barely meet the heat loss of the structure, and this can all be calculated or taken from manufactures literature.

Economic balance point changes with fuel costs and electricity cost, obviously. But the best way to calculate it is to reduce it down to cost per 10,000 BTU

There are calculators online that allow you to input cost per kilowatt hour of electric, and cost per therm of natural gas, or gallon of LP gas. Then you also have to enter the assumed efficiency of the gas heat, and the COP of the heat pump.

11. knave

knave Undeterred

With the newer inverter drive stuff such as Mitsubishi it will keep the air temp up even when it’s cold.

jpb2 likes this.
  12. LemonWizard

LemonWizard Blinky Lights Wizard

I have an all electric house so it's a heat pump for me.

jpb2 likes this.
  13. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Economic Balance Point should take into account cost of repairs. I'd trust a mechanical piece of equipment which has to Runs during cold weather,that is located indoors as opposed to outside,from a breakdown standpoint.

knave likes this.
  14. Anita sannich

Anita sannich Exceptionally average

Whatever the outdoor temp is when you get a "heat pump blowing cold air" service call, set the heat pump to lockout 3 degrees above that. The "cold" air is just room temperature air from the blower while the equipment is switching back and forth between auxiliary and O/B trying to maintain a balance point.