1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Heat Tape for frozen pipes

Discussion in 'Tools and Test Equip' started by QuickRick, Jan 11, 2018.

1. QuickRick

QuickRick Proud to be a Deplorable

Guys and Girls,

What kind of heat tape do you recommend, and why for pipes? We just got back from out of town and I had a frozen water supply pipe in our remote garage due to a Frost King failure.

There are those big box ones like Frost King with a built-in t-stat and the self regulating types. The second category have no thermostat so are always on (but you could install one in the receptacle that feeds it).

Also I'd appreciate any tips etc. I must say, had we not valved our city water off, we'd had a giant mess on our hands. We learned a good lesson about winter!

QR

2. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

Catpower and frozensolid like this.
  3. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

do you need water out there in winter. I much prefer valving off and blowing the line out if possible. being in the business its easy to add the right fittings to do this. that how we do the dock lines. I then fill the toilets and sink traps with glycol so they don't dry out and give up odor from the sewer

4. QuickRick

QuickRick Proud to be a Deplorable

Thanks for the link.

I actually do have a provision for the purpose of blowing out the lines, and that's okay for long time shut downs but I use the garage in the winter.

Slowly I'm beginning to find out that the Snow King tapes are short lived and not to be trusted.

QR

Last edited: Jan 11, 2018
  5. Chuck

Chuck SSP

We use 3 watt per ft self regulating heat tape for freezer drains. I think it’s made by easy heat.

6. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

the Raychem is the stuff then. they sell it at united refrig around here

crackertech likes this.
  7. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

and it can be cut to length.

8. LemonWizard

LemonWizard Blinky Lights Wizard

Raychem is what we used on walkin freezer drains.

Add a stat that brings them on if it's below 35 or 40 outside and you'd be set.

9. frozensolid

frozensolid Psychologist's Dream

I mostly used the liquid line. Solder it to the bottom of the drain line. It works great and never burns out.

10. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

I think the Ray Chem tapes come on automatically at 36, at least the tapes I used to do did and they were cut to length, but not sure of the maker but Ray Chem does sound familiar

11. R/HVAC

R/HVAC selfemployed

Knew it as frost tex. Now I know who makes it. Think the one piece length limit is 75' . Had to use 2 pieces for underground supply line from spring house to mobile home once.