1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Help on and ECM mtr

Discussion in 'Residential' started by Catpower, Aug 10, 2011.

1. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

I've never had to jack with an ECM motor until last night the one in our furnace took a shit, I jack legged a 1/2 hp PSC mtr in there it's over amping but still running

How do you trouble shoot one?

The mtr # is HD 52 RE (maybe AE) I called Carrier and they said the module is $429, I can get in on line from HVAC parts outlet for $235 so carrier can kiss my ****ing ass, but I want to make sure that's the problem before I buy it, but might just alter the unit to run with a 3/4 or 1 hp psc mtr

Appreciate any help, I really don't need this shit going on right now

2. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

3. Swampfox

Swampfox red tagged

Its almost always the module, as long as the motor ohms out good and spins freely

should ohm out like a 3 phase motor, all three windings the same

4. Catpower

Thanks Tyler, I thought that was what they said in the class I took on them a long time ago, but have never had to work on one before

Pisses me off that Carrier wants so much for the module, probably because in the last few years I haven't sold too much of their stuff, I guess they forgot about the years when i was selling around a million bucks worth every year

5. CincyHVAC

CincyHVAC Hoptimus Prime, Master of Beer-Fu

I bought a module for an American Standard (mine) for $235.00 this week.

A carrier at the office needed a module and the cost was about $290, so you're getting ****ed........

6. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak New Member

Pull the module off the motor. Most of the ones I have seen go bad blow the little black fuse in the middle. Also check out the plug on the motor, sometimes they will fry the terminals when they go. I believe Zebra or someone makes a kit to repair them. They also make a inline surge protection device that's supposed to help protect it from electrical problems. I've never tried to fix one since most of the ones I've run across were still under warranty.

If you think the module is high try pricing the whole motor. Our cost is about $700. A motor for a Rheem is just under $400.

7. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak New Member

8. Stephy

Stephy Dawg

9. ISOTHERMAL

ISOTHERMAL senior member

10. ISOTHERMAL

ISOTHERMAL senior member

I have saw the repair kits before, but not the surge protectors.

Thanks

I have replaced a couple motors/modules and circuit boards.

One ECM and one X-13 had the magnets come off the armature.

One ECM had a module.

With both of the ECM motors I had to replace both the modules and the motors.

2 different brands of equipment, but both said "we no longer sell just the module or motor, you must purchase both"

11. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak New Member

I've seen that a couple times on the X13s.

12. Bob Hubbard

Bob Hubbard Professional Bicker er

Im pretty sure the price difference from an ecm furnace & a standard motor is just a few hundred dollars .....How long is the supply houses goin to keep charging such a high price for theses parts ...... The motors hav been out long enough to bring th price down .... ;)

13. Catpower

Thanks for all the info guys, I think it's just going to be adapted to a PSC motor

I know the ECM's are suppose to save electricity, but I don't think they save any money if they don't last

14. Airflow

Airflow New Member

carrier is proud of their replacement parts

15. Weber

Weber New Member

Do you have the part #?

I probably have one laying around here.

16. Weber

Weber New Member

Cat, let me know if you have a number. I found a couple different ones that I have hear I could send you.

17. yoop

yoop Money talks......but all mine says is "Goodbye"!

easiest way for testing the ecm is to purchase an ecm tester for both analog & digital motors. Around $150.00 for both. The testers will determine if the problem is the module, motor or the board

18. Catpower

The number Carrier gave me was HD 52AE120, but I might be wrong with the HD part, but the rest of the number is right, the page that I wrote the number on some how got all f'ed up

Thanks

The thermistor came in but I haven't made it to the supply house yet, was waiting for it to cool off before I have to shut the a/c down to fix it

But at least we have broken the record for all time days for over 100 here 71, damn that's too many

19. Weber

Weber New Member

I got one, pm me your address and I will send one to you.