1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Help with a old york rooftop

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by Snoring Beagle, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Snoring Beagle

Snoring Beagle Need Little - Want Less - Love More

I am dealing with an 1974 York frooftop AC with a economizer pkg.

The york
    MN 2FR06700106A
    SN NENY119331

The AC is working fine, it's the economiser pkg that has me puzzled. I have no literature and it appears to be ok. I just don't fully understand it.

There is a rheostat thermal control knob on the hood that has the ability to switch between mechanical cooling and economizer. It appears to do this using a relay between the t-stat and contactor. There is also a stat next to the mod motor that seems to effect the damper.

Anyone familiar with this York? There are ten of them on this bldg.

2. NZ All Blacks Fan

NZ All Blacks Fan Just Another swinging Dick

1 is the abcd signal old school style before the honeywell 7415 7459
    the other is the mixed air temp controller

what else would you like to know?

3. Snoring Beagle

Yes is there a backdoor to Yorks website for info and literature?

4. Snoring Beagle

Enthalpy controller??

5. refrigerationtech

refrigerationtech Nut Case!

he aint using a honeywheel enthalpy controller, befor that. mix ait temp either opens damper or starts compressor.

6. NZ All Blacks Fan

I should clarify - the old stuff pre 80 I think) used a combination of single controls to achieve what was replaced by honeywell 7415 and the 7459A damper motor and enthalpy controllers

it increased the reliability but made it harder for the hacks to actually troubleshoot the controllers.

the controller ( a19 or similar ) sometimes called compressor monitor ( lennox) simply switched the signal fro y1/y2 from the mechanical cooling to power the damper motor relay and controls - the mixed air sensor or stat might have been an a 19 ( on/off) or more likely a T991a ( RBW) with a 135 hom pot controll wired to the damper motor controls - this allows a reasonably well controlled supply air temp - set it to 50° supply air temp and it would mix when the air was below 50° and be full open at 50° and above - if the cooling wasn't being met y2 (if available) would bring on 1st or 2nd stg mech cool ( depending upon how its wired)

Failure - normally the 135ohm pot on the controller dirty outa wack etc

don't forget there should be a min position pot on the damper motor
    I don't have links to york - I'll look for you
    All I have is 25 yrs experience on various ref/hvac equipment

7. NZ All Blacks Fan

york/JC website blows

8. NZ All Blacks Fan

It took me 15 yrs before I fully understood economisers ( all brands) correctly
    then they all go and change things up on me

9. Snoring Beagle

Don't worry NZ you are helping.
    I am going to be there again. they done went and rearranged the office lay out again. new rooms, new walls, new open areas. We will be assaying and balancing airflows and now would be a good time to really get to know these old Yorks.

Thanks. :thumb:

you too refertech!

10. NZ All Blacks Fan

Generally there will be 24v to the damper motor all the time ( might be off the fan relay so no fan no damper power) and the min pos knob will be in circuit - a relay will disengage the min pos and engage the mixed air sensor so the damper will drive off the mixed air sensor

I'll look around all my old shait and see if I gotta diagrahm of the old school stuff - might be generic but will help you figure it all out

11. otto

otto Bakery Chef

Ihave just pulled out all the old economizer controls on a few Carriers and a York before just because there were too many controls that might/will go bad even after you diagnose the current problem. Replaced them with Honeywell electronic controls and have had no problems with them. Perhaps this might be an option that you can offer the customer. Lots of rewiring but, in the end a more reliable unit.

12. CincyHVAC

CincyHVAC Hoptimus Prime, Master of Beer-Fu

Yeah, but the cost to convert is astronomical. Close to $3,000 for the conversion kit. We spent $295 for the actuators for the condenser fan dampers. Then again, this was on a Trane chiller and not a rooftop packaged unit.

13. Abby Normal

Abby Normal On Permanent Vacation

The aftermarket parts are outrageous

I had a pair of noisy chillers and a near by residential area (100 yards away, thorugh some brush) was complaining. Trane wanted about 10 grand for some insulation kit to deaden the sound.

It was cheaper to build a block wall to block the sound which is what we did

14. Abby Normal

Abby Normal On Permanent Vacation

I did a few custom built units in my time, our cheapest economizer was just a two stage stat. First stage cooling was open up the outside air (may or may not have the luxury of a T991 driving a mod motor to mix to 55). We had a high ambient setback which was a bulb thermostat that put the motor back to minimum position once it got too warm outside. Second stage cooling brought on the DX and drove the damper back to minimum position as well.