1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

hey, fart smellers,....errrr smart fellers.

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by flange, Dec 22, 2017.

1. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

I don't mind the ball busting, its not like ive never done it

pecmsg, Texas-Tech and jpb2 like this.
  2. oroy54

oroy54 New Member

First of all a tornado does not care about the straps. And flange, yes straps will hold down a rtu 135 mph wind. However the mini tornado's that are spawned during a hurricane or any storm does not care about straps. Believe it or not tie downs are not required here.
    I did see a lot of them overturned here a couple of months ago after that wind storm.

3. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

they aren't required here either, but the client needs them in order to continue their insurance policy. this is a large national company who has probably thousands of buildings to insure therefore they will do what they have to do.

oroy54 likes this.
  4. Jim54

Jim54 New Member

Yeah I would strap them to the curb. But, depending on the roof type,(is the roof built up on a concrete slab or corregated steel on red iron trusses)? We used to require the roofers to set the curb flange on the slab or corregate and shoot the proper faseners through the curb flanges and attach to the actual structure before building up around and flashing the curb. We were just trying to make our jobs as bulletproof as possible.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2017
    Zman likes this.
  5. frozensolid

frozensolid Psychologist's Dream

If you strap them don’t bend the straps. It gives them play to move stretch.

The last Rooftops we changed the tie down engineering was 300 4 and 6 inch tek screws through the base frame into the curb. If curb adapter? Then 300 adapt to curb 300 unit to adapter.

We had ten units on that building. Screw cordless drills you got have a power drill to drive them. Also found you had to drill a pilot hole in the frame or the screw would not drill through the curb. PITA CITY.

oroy54 likes this.
  6. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

That makes Perfect sense. Because it does no good to attach something, to something that isn't secured itself!