1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Hey, flatlanders!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by flange, Oct 3, 2017.

1. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

I am sure at least a few of you have not had the opportunity to be at or near the top of a high rise during construction. This is kind of what it looks like :D:D:D:D:D

2. LemonWizard

LemonWizard Blinky Lights Wizard

3. Daryl_Dixon

Daryl_Dixon New Member

Super Secret Admission: I occasionally get vertigo. I've taught myself how to hold on to a ladder and ride it out, in the rare instance it happens. But up there, I'd be doomed.

4. flange

One gets more acclimated over time, unless predisposed with a fear of heights. Most humans are cautious naturally, but learn to work up there. If you look closely at the building behind in the opening shot, its liberty place, which was then the highest at 57 or 58 occupied stories. There is then a 42 or 48 inch pipe that goes up inside to the aircraft lighting on top. Being in the heart of the city, we had to take pipe deliveries at night and distribute on the floors using the outside hoist. I was lucky enough to get a lot of that overtime, as many guys just wouldn't go up in the hoist, especially to the top. I got some amazing views on clear nights from up top. I sort of miss those days.....but only when its nice outside.

mike1020 and knave like this.
  5. somedude

somedude Senior Stalker & PITA, aka zachhvac

Its an ego thing, as well as not being very bright, i have a brother whos and iron worker , cant weld anything except heavy stuff to save his life, drunk most of the time and according to him many are on drugs. I would have to be on drugs to go up there

6. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

Not as bad with Safety Harness.

These Iron Workers had Balls of Steel!

Attached Files:

Rather B Riding, jpb2 and Catpower like this.
  7. LemonWizard

LemonWizard Blinky Lights Wizard

I'm usually fine if I have three points of contact but I'm pretty poorly balanced at all other times. Even working off an ext ladder is sketchy to me.

8. flange

Well, around here we have had drug/alcohol policies on jobsites for YEARS. I remember peeing into a cup all the way back in 1991 at the refinery. There is no drinking on large construction jobs these days, none. you cannot even leave the worksite at lunch, period or you are not allowed back. The list of things you cant do is longer than what yo can do. Is it really ego, or just guys doing their jobs to feed their families?

mike1020, newtech and knave like this.
  9. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

You city slickers have nothing on the flat landers:lachen::lachen::lachen:

I wouldn't do either one but this one makes my ass pucker just watching it

10. A/C guy's girl

A/C guy's girl been there done that...whats next ?

Hell I thought you where saying about the band Flatlanders....:lachen:

Catpower likes this.
  11. Daryl_Dixon

Daryl_Dixon New Member

I first read it as Ned Flanders, no shit, but I'm seriously underslept right now.

A/C guy's girl likes this.
  12. frozensolid

frozensolid Psychologist's Dream

Many were Mohawks. They are legendary for their iron balls and New York Iron Work.

13. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

14. somedude

somedude Senior Stalker & PITA, aka zachhvac

He used to sell his piss to the meth heads i never met an iron worker who was all there , not even once and ive been around construction my whole life and for generations , they are the bottom of the totem pole right behind a few other trades but at least they dont steal work from other trades

15. HMD

HMD does it matter?

16. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

doc havoc likes this.
  17. HMD

HMD does it matter?

you're on the far left

pecmsg, doc havoc and jpb2 like this.
  18. R2D2-TX

R2D2-TX New Member

Been listening to Joe Ely for 40+ years.. rock on..✌️

Catpower and A/C guy's girl like this.
  19. doc havoc

doc havoc A cunning linguist

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

20. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

I used to have a real bad fear of heights, but now I'm the guy all the way up in the lift, standing on the railing and hanging over trying to reach something, lol.