1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Hey, flatlanders!

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by flange, Oct 3, 2017.

1. knave

knave Undeterred

I love thread topic progression.

Around here any country mile has a few or several old unused barns in various stages of disrepair. Really a little sad to see that lifestyle disappear. In 50 years they won’t be much left of them. Most of the roofs are bad.

Zman and Catpower like this.
  2. HMD

HMD does it matter?

mike1020 likes this.
  3. HMD

HMD does it matter?

and why is that?
    or, seemingly abandoned properties failing apart on country roads?

4. knave

knave Undeterred

95% of the small dairy/farms went out of business sold cows, had auction. Either the owners stay there retired or it gets sold as a “hobby farm” and there is no use for the barn.

5. HMD

HMD does it matter?

i see.
    but, i mean houses.

6. knave

knave Undeterred

Good question Bob,

7. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

Up where I grew up the land has gotten so way over priced they bulldoze the farm stead to get more productive land

Sometime I see a rerun of the late 70's early 80's when the farmers figure out your can't pay for $20,000 per acre land with $10,000 per acre corn or beans

It went batshit crazy about 2012 or so, the commodity prices were sky high and they spent money like drunken sailors on land and equipment, now the prices are real low and a drought to top it off. I was talking to one of the kids I ran with while growing up, he farms about 5000 acres, told me the other day he is looking at losing over $250,000 this year

Doesn't take too many of those years to lose everything you made in the good years, but I will give him that, he paid everything off during the good years, but still a 1/4 of a million loss is tough

8. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Around here,its corn mazes and hayrides to try an stay afloat. But that don't feed the cows.What ever happened got those Government Subsidys that were supposed to help a very important industry, so we don't have import everything?

9. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

In my area, land is EASILY 100k per acre. Many local townships have passed ordinances where the minimum lot size is one and a half acres. They also passed a bill about ten or fifteen years ago to tax all homeowners a bit, and use the money to buy up distressed farms and preserve them. our township owns quite a bit of land. In one case, the auctioned off the right to lease the old farmhouse and barns, BUT the new tenant had to rehab them prior to occupancy. Unbelievably, the new tenant is an artist and made really nice repairs to the old place, then set up community center, art classes and so forth. Its perhaps a mile from me, nice deal and no new housing.

10. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

Another local farmer got paid 40 million to allow the state to put a road through the property. The dude now does a huge Christmas light thing, corn mazes, all kinds of stuff to make money. check out the video here: http://shadybrookfarm.com/holiday-light-show/

Zman likes this.
  11. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Now that's a Light Display!!! Betting they stay up year round.