1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Hey, VFD jean yuses

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by flange, Jun 9, 2017.

1. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

ok, so the question came up and I cannot find the answer in the ABB manuals. when wiring multiple VFD's, is it acceptable to run the power supplies to say three vfd's in one conduit, then run the load wiring to each motor in separate conduit?

The book shows conductor sizing based upon cable tray allowing up to nine conductors running together, or three three conductors. obviously with only three cables running together, amp rating is higher ( less heat).
    Can anyone point to a specific section where it says only three conductors per conduit? to me, it should be as directed by the NEC.

2. heavyevans

heavyevans FNG

I wouldn't see a problem with it. The problem is when input and output wiring is in the same conduit. The VFD creates it's own sine wave and could put noise back on the system. That wouldn't be an issue in your case.

3. flange

I have been asked by a client to critique a position put forward by some electrical boy wonder, which if adopted, would cost my client hundreds of thousands of dollars. He quoted page 406 out of the manual, which is effectively a chart for the current ratings of conductors in different configurations, not a limitation on how many. I am sitting here reading this piece of garbage that said engineer wrote and its horrendous. yes, I do realize its 8 pm, its an important client.

I agree about the output voltage wiring.

4. heavyevans

heavyevans FNG

Sorry, my 2ยข had to with drives. NEC is for queers.

5. NZ All Blacks Fan

NZ All Blacks Fan Just Another swinging Dick

in the Canadian electrical code ( I suspect its close to the American nec) we have a table with the ma conductors in a conduit EG #4 in a 116mm conduit is 86 @ 600V (table 6)

6. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

I can't at the last Gig we ran 2-3 per condit ,I agree with heavy on the input output

7. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

Guess it would be overly expensive to err on the side of caution?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. flange

occupied building, tough to navigate. rewiring feeds on about 16- 25 horsepower VFDS in a 70000 square foot building would be costly. rewiring the output...simple.

9. Joey791

Joey791 New Member

10. NZ All Blacks Fan

NZ All Blacks Fan Just Another swinging Dick

logically speaking - It doesn't make sense to have to have separated motor feeds upstream of the MCC or the VFD - as they are all connected anyways in the distribution panel. the vfd outputs are isolated from the inputs Yes? so why have to separate the inputs?
    I have a friend whom is an electrical engineer I can ask

ReeferPool likes this.