1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

How much do they pay in HVAC professions in California?

Discussion in 'New members' started by rocco, Oct 4, 2010.

1. rocco

rocco New Member

Hey I'm new to the forum and have a question about HVAC.

How much do they pay in the HVAC professions in California San Francisco Bay area?

I am an electrical student right now, but heard that HVAC is a good industry to go into in the future. A lot of older equipment will need replacement by 2018, is this true?

2. CincyHVAC

CincyHVAC Hoptimus Prime, Master of Beer-Fu

Welcome to the forum.

I think we have a few members from Cali. here..............

3. Swampfox

Swampfox red tagged

A lot of older equipment needs to be replaced every year, one thing this trade has is job security

no idea what they pay rate is in that area though

4. Roadhouse

Roadhouse New Member

The real question we ALL want to know is if you consider yourself an ass clown? Then we'll know who to put you with... :)

When I was in Los Angeles, the electricians in the Union, working on movies a lot as was I but I was doing flooring, along with all of the other trades such as carpenters and lighting, wages far outweighed the average rate of pay for Texas.

I have been both electrical union and non here in Texas and I'd rather be in Cali.

Can't say about hvac between the two states BUT I can say I have a bud who owns his own electrical contractors company here and again, with my electrical history even including working for him, hvac is far more interesting and the options are much more abundant, financially and technically.

5. Roadhouse

Roadhouse New Member

I would have to guess that the rate of pay for anywhere coincides with the cost of living. Cali costs a lot more to live than Texas.

6. iron

iron we men are wretched things

funny
    everyone who does a/c and refrigeration
    also is a pretty skilled electrician
    but never met a sparky that could also
    do a/c and refrigeration
    should help make your decision clear

7. jpb2

jpb2 Dog Tard *

:welcome: one and done I bet

8. Iraqveteran

Iraqveteran Zija Independent Distributor

nah.

Got at least one more in em to come back and call us all ass clowns.....:tard:

9. rocco

rocco New Member

Hey this is all great. I mean this is all great that I hear its a great profession to go into..

(and no i'm not an assclown. lol. Im just a young adult trying to figure out what career path I should pursue)

On the other HVAC forum I went to, a lot of people complained about the pay. Like they were lucky to get 15 dollars an hour and the work was really hard! Like from what I read, A/C systems are complex. Granted those complaints were from out of state, not in California. So I'm not sure how valid those complaints were for Cali residents.

So yeah, I have some conflicting decision making process to research in before I choose between Electrician or the HVAC professions.

If anybody knows and can let me know. thanks

10. rocco

rocco New Member

Btw, I don't know how the cost of living is in other states but here in California you cannot really survive off of 15 dollars an hour.

11. NZ All Blacks Fan

NZ All Blacks Fan Just Another swinging Dick

the work can be physically hard and techinically hard - only the best rise to the top the rest chug along doing the grinder stuff

If you find the right company you can succeed faster and make more pay

I don't know the cali rates but up here in BC Canada - rates range from 12 bucks hr for a 1st yr non union 12 bucks hr for union apprentice pre apprentice level to over 50 hr + bennifits for a journyman and $60+ hr + bennifits for a lead tech/foreman + OT + on call etc

that means a range of 24K yr to 120+ K yr

is it hard yes - but if you apply your self and work hard and put an effort in you can make the grade - kids whom want to get paid for standing around facking around on their phone al lthe time need not apply - yo uwon't last you want to sit on your arse in front of a computor all day - then don't apply if you want to be king of the trades - this is the king of the trades

12. rocco

rocco New Member

13. Swampfox

Swampfox red tagged

A lot of us regret it too lol

its not a profession for the weak of heart, long hours, poor working conditions, in the residential side of things you can throw in dealing with homeowners

Id shoot for the commercial side, more money, no homeowners, crawlspaces, or attics

14. Mcool

Mcool Pipe layer

I see a lot of complaining on the internet by guy that have 2 or 3 years in and they are not making great money.
    Stick with it and after 8 or 10 years you will.

15. Mcool

Mcool Pipe layer

What will get you paid well is on the job experience.

Just stay on the job long enough and build up some years.

No shortcuts around father time.

16. rocco

rocco New Member

This was a cause of some concern:

this one was very profound. After all that training, he was only given $12 an hour, and so he decided to start up his own company. Just thought I'd share my concerns.

source:
    http://www.indeed.com/forum/job/hvac-technician/Thought-HVAC-Techs-made-good-money-happened/t104691/p2

17. Mcool

Mcool Pipe layer

That guys a doper or alchoholic or has mental problems.

23 years experience you can get hired the first place you apply for great money around here.

18. Iraqveteran

Iraqveteran Zija Independent Distributor

Squeaky wheel gets the oil.

The second one that did all that bitching needs a nut check.

Bottom line, you have no experience in the field. Education don't get ya that far outta the gate...so you should expect entry pay.

As far as the rest, I would be real interested to see what he would say if I were to walk in the door and tell him what I thought I was worth.

I live in NC. And I make well more the $20/hr (wont say how much). Which is damn good for Carolina.
    Under his rant, I should have no problem making $50-$60 an hour to start in Denver. Where can I get an application??? :hammer:

19. Mcool

Mcool Pipe layer

yea I know.He needs a kick in the nuts.

All the degrees and Nate and all that bs don't mean shit.

The first thing you'll be asked on an interview is how many years hvac experience you have......not if you have an epa card or nate or none of that garbage.

20. Mcool

Mcool Pipe layer

Rocco just go start a hvac job and do the school training later.
    Its gonna suck ass sure at first.

You'll be picked on ,be the gopher, and other bad things.
    But after a while you won't.