1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

How much do they pay in HVAC professions in California?

Discussion in 'New members' started by rocco, Oct 4, 2010.

1. DPSwitch

DPSwitch Forget the hearse....

Yep, it can get a little rough... but usually its all in good fun. I have given and gotten more tech support at the counter than anywhere though. I do go get my own shit... I cant wait for those knuckleheads to bring me the wrong thing 5 times.

2. iron

iron we men are wretched things

I know, how many times can they bring you the wrong thing? geez! its like dealing with daughters, you love em but you want to strangle em LOL

3. Dowadudda

Dowadudda Staff Member

this trade is what you make it. but it is unforgiving in every imaginable way. don't wait or look for anything other than the next call. do your thing, move on. Some may find your value imeasurable and at the same time others can spit at you. Thats life.

You take from your work what you give. At the end of a day, any day, it's a new day tommorow. with it brings anything. You prepare your career in this trade with knowledge and work ethic and even then after all the sweat and work, often some guys still find themselves out of pocket.

4. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

Thats a pretty good statement, and its true. if you do your very best each day, read, learn, strive to do the best work you can, there will always be someone who is trying to undercut you, either with low pricing, shoddy work, or both. in the end, falling into that trap usually cuases a lot of stress, poorly run companies, and unhappy employees. Strive to do your best,, and at the best company you can find. the rest will come, money, fame, beer, lol.
    No one can ever take away your knowledge gained by reading and learning, nor can they ruin your reputation, only you can do that. If you are known as a hard working dude, who tries, reads etc, typically it is highly unusual for you to be unemployed, at least for long...

As an example, I found out a very highly regarded man was being laid off from his company due to some idiot sales guy starting chit. I didnt know him, but called him immediately and offered him a job. He has worked for me now for three years without a hitch. I never knew him, only his reputation over the last thirty years. Recently I just hired another guy in the same boat but with a slightly diferent spin on the story. his employer was messing with his wages and he was pissed about it. he no longer has that issue.

5. rocco

rocco New Member

Bureau of Labor Statistics says HVAC is an excellent field to go into. HVAC guys from the HVAC forums says its a great field to go into.

But when I check on craigslist, there is hardly any posting for HVAC jobs. Even during the Hot seasons (April thru Summer, etc) there might be like at most 1-2 job posting for HVAC on craigslist a day, though I wouldnt define that as lucrative compared to other types of jobs i've seen posted on Craigslist.

Granted that sites like http://www.mepjobs.com/ have a lot of job postings for HVAC tech, they are all located in several different states nationally, which would require relocation.

I'll check the supply houses. Hopefully that is where they post all the HVAC jobs. Maybe HVAC companies just don't go posting their job openings on Craigslist when they need a service tech?

All types of career fields require networking and having connections to get jobs, but some jobs still have lucrative job openings posted on Craigslist such as accounting and software engineers. Especially in Metropolitan areas like the SF Bay Area. Why is that?

I don't know if I would be happy working in an office all day for the rest of my working life but it seems like that is the only option. I hope I'm wrong though, because I'd enjoy working with my hands more, and having the freedom of traveling to job sites with my own truck, and setting my own hours etc. I hope I'm wrong but it seems like if I'm going to have any success in this field, it seems more and more likely I'll have to relocate to the East Coast someday. Check out this diagram map of HVAC employment nationwide:

hvac.gif

Source: http://www.bls.gov/oes/current/oes499021.htm

I will research this further, but would like to hear you guys input : "How is HVAC a lucrative field as they say?"

6. HMD

HMD does it matter?

hello again roCCo.................

7. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

most hvac jobs are not posted, especially in areas where there is union presence. the only time you will see jobs posted anywhere is if a big company picks up a lot of new work, and there is zero unemployment. even then a lot of times they try to hire from referrals or from within. other cases would be for inhouse type guys.

8. Iraqveteran

Iraqveteran Zija Independent Distributor

Think about it.....

If you were a business owner, would you be wanting to hire people who cruise craigslist looking for a job?
    I wouldn't.

Best advice here....just go out and apply. The last 3 jobs I got, the companies weren't hiring or advertising. I walked in, filled out an application, talked to the manager, and got hired on. If you really want it....you gotta go get it and stop waiting for it to come to you.

9. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

X2

10. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

X3

11. Stephy

Stephy Dawg

Sorta like getting a customer that was cruising DIY web sites and got a referral.....

:nono:

12. DPSwitch

DPSwitch Forget the hearse....

I wouldnt want a job I found on craigs list... the more you talk to people the better. Do this dressed clean and well put together... everyone you meet is a job interview... sell yourself.

13. HMD

HMD does it matter?

all good info.............. however, mr. rocco should do a proper introduction, should put some info in his profile, and should return to his thread - or this forum - a little more frequently (this thread is over a year old), if he wants information.

14. truecountry

truecountry gosh damn mrs sg is mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm and sum

Hmmmmmmmmm most people know here im not a hvac tech but im so close im there with that saided ... you have to build a resume and with that resume you must build names with equipment you have fixed ..... just to give a slow fast resume info i worked in textile for 17 1/2 years on machines that costed over 350 thousand a piece times 500 machines ..place shut down i went to college not hvac thou diesel tech first job i got paid 10 a hour i didnt care i had no bills needed to build up resume and after a 1 and 1/2 years my resume got me what i thought i was worth and its nothing like hvac money but im happy ............. the short of it u got to start somewhere noone is going to pay u top pay unless u prove your self oh and im a lumberyard aka diesel mill wright welder etc ac guy .......... guys make 45 plus a hour in my trade but never home everynite sumtimes weeks look at travel and where you want to be in 10 years

15. rocco

rocco New Member

Is it easy for an HVAC Tech to transfer his years of experience towards becoming an electrical journeyman? Because I heard those are transferable experience, so you don't have to start over if you decide to go onto electrical work after you've done HVAC.

I'm asking this because I'm hoping to become a HVAC service tech journeyman, and then later becoming solar installation electrician too. Specifically, I am interested in in the solar/alternative energy aspect of electrician's work. I heard this is a good field to go into in the future.

also anybody know how the market is for HVAC service tech's in the SF Bay Area? Is there a strong demand for this profession? Because that's where I'm located, and the weather doesn't really get that hot around here like it does on the East Coast (deleware, conneticut, florida, etc.)

16. HMD

HMD does it matter?

there is no hvac work in California........... they out sourced it overseas.
    solar is booming in the Caribbean

17. Lurk

Lurk New Member

this is a good industry to work in.

this is also an incredibly - INCREDIBLY - broad industry.

everything ranging from residential refrigerators to 10,000 TON chillers is technically considered "HVAC/R"

that being said, 93% of our industry is in the shitter right now, just like everything else.

this is a good trade IF you can move into the far ends of technical challenging areas: chillers, specialty stuff, big 'effin equipment, etc

the rest of it, get your 1/4 inch nut driver out and prepare to change parts for commission.

lol, i don't sound cynical, do i?

18. rocco

rocco New Member

it's me again guys. update:

i took an aptitude test and scored very high on hearing sensitivity. it's the ability to detect or tell the differences between sounds that vary in pitch and loudness. the career counselor said that i should go into a career where i can use my hearing aptitude. She had suggested auto mechanic, piano tuner, and cook (apparently hearing sensitivity is related to the sensory receptors for eyesight, taste and smell.) My question is, is having good hearing important as a HVACR service tech?

Lurk, cynical or not, i just checked craigslist and noticed lots of hiring going on for hvacr jobs. i guess the need for hvacr does exist, to some degree, in the bay area.

19. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

Yeah it's an asset that's useful, but will be damaged by listing to all the bullshit from customers and management

20. Lurk

Lurk New Member

hahahahaha!

yes, you need to hear...

almost every service call i run, i use my hearing to diagnose.

so..

PROTECT YOUR HEARING.