1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

How much do they pay in HVAC professions in California?

Discussion in 'New members' started by rocco, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Jimmy Dean

Jimmy Dean Magilla Gorilla reincarnated....

I heard it was out sourced to Zimbabwe.....

2. Stephy

Stephy Dawg

My hearing has declined over the years...:nono:

but.........

I can't believe the people in our industry that can't hear the drone of a compressor with the CFM running.....

On start up I'll yank the disconect out and mutter.."The compressor isn't coming on"

Customers either think I'm full of it or can walk on water...[of course I'm a mixture of both] lol..

:shocked::dunno:

3. Lurk

Lurk New Member

that's funny, stephy.

i have the same experience.

when i walk up and say "compressor aint running".

they're like "oh no, it's running".

i'm like "oh no, its not".

it's funny how that compressor sound gets engrained into your psyche.

i've been in houses working on the AC and hear the refrigerator compressor acting up.

warn the people.

next time i see them... "shoot, that fridge died a couple weeks after you was here".

compressor is as compressor does.

4. HMD

HMD does it matter?

no, because equipment in this bizness will destroy it.
    ever been in a mechanical room with (4) 900t mcjunk compressors screaming? earmuffs and plugs just do not cut it.

5. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

What did you say????

6. somedude

somedude Senior Stalker & PITA, aka zachhvac

I walked by a condenser today and heard the fan surging , looked underneath , packed.

Any good tech does 6 or 7 things just walking up to the unit ,

knave likes this.
  7. Lurk

Lurk New Member

yep

8. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

having scored high on hearing sensitivity, you might be well suited to go into corporate life. as a general rule, hvac guys dont hear very well when it comes to following each new corporate mantra that comes down the pike. with your excellent hearing sensitivity, you may be a model employee for a company like jork.

9. rocco

rocco New Member

Hey guys. Status update: I passed the test & interview, and am currently ranked #16 on the HVAC tech apprenticeship program's waiting list at the sheet metal union. My question is, do HVAC technicians get sun burned a lot?? Because I hear they are working in the hot weathers.. and I wasn't sure if most the devices they work on are out in the sun, or mostly indoors. I was just wondering because I don't want my face to turn into leather in 5-10 years from working in HVAC.

While waiting to be called in for work to start my HVAC apprenticeship, I will be applying for plumber apprenticeship programs with other unions. I am sort of weighing the pro's and con's of the two, PLUMBER vs. HVAC TECH. On the one hand, plumber's get really dirty, but on the other hand perhaps HVAC Tech's all have sun burned faces?? I rather get dirty than have a sun burned face, because at least you can maybe wash the dirt away through hard scrubbing. In your opinion which do you think is better trade to get into as far as money, work environment and difficulty, etc? I hear HVAC machines are complex and hard to learn....

Also anyone have an idea how long do you think it will take for the union to get to me to put me to work, if I am ranked #16 on the waiting list? Thanks in advance for the advice.

10. Phase Loss

Phase Loss IF YOU STAY READY, YOU DON'T HAVE TO GET READY

I think you should be a plumber.
    :popcorn:

newtech and mike1020 like this.
  11. SW MESJ

SW MESJ New Member

I'm absolutely sure all Journeymen working for the Union Hussmann or HillPhoenix shops in California make over $120K.

12. chucko615

chucko615 Banned camp counselor

I'm absolutely sure you shouldn't be dredging up old threads

mike1020 and somedude like this.
  13. SW MESJ

SW MESJ New Member

I didn't even notice the timeframe.

14. chucko615

That dude hasn't been around for 3 years

15. jays 65

jays 65 New Member

great trade always a challenge very hard hot work but well worth it on every level.Wished id of started right after high school

16. SW MESJ

SW MESJ New Member

Did "that dude" ever get in the field?

17. chucko615

Who knows, I think he got bit by a badger. .....:lachen:

newtech, coldsnap and mike1020 like this.
  18. lytning

lytning I'm not old, I just woke up this way

Companies advertising on the radio for HVAC/R techs. They make it sound very good. Ever since I got fired in 71 (big mouth), I have been on my own. Started charging 16 per hr. Getting more than that now. Other companies around here get from 75 to over a C note. I really need to raise my prices and charge overtime.
    Last helper (part time) was getting $12. That was about 14 years ago.

19. somedude

somedude Senior Stalker & PITA, aka zachhvac

Kalifornia would be the greatest place to live in the U.S. if it wasnt full of Kalifornians , those people see backbiting and throat cutting as totally acceptable and expected

Catpower likes this.
  20. rock&rolloutlaw$

rock&rolloutlaw$ New Member

Any hard working man in any job is going to have his face sunburned at some point. By the time you have children those two Tiny problems will be nothing to even think about worrying about. You don’t care about sunburned faces or working in the sun in general. You get used to it if your a father and a real man!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zamoramax likes this.