1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

I am starting to think its intentional...

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by flange, Feb 8, 2012.

1. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

So, I priced up some high performance butterflies for a job. 22 of them, ten inch. Lead time advertised at two weeks, but "they are in stock and will be in more quickly". Great. Get job, order valves. Today is week four. Notified it will be another four weeks.......

Valve rep says vendor forgot to order them. vendor says manufacturing lost order. Ugh, its issues like this that effing drive me insane! I explain to them that we are running out of economizer weather quickly, and once spring hits order is cancelled, regardless of what they think or do. Cannot drain chilled water system in a hospital in spring. I swear to god, I wish this industry would go back to the old days when men did exactly as they said they would do instead of being lieing puzzys.

2. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

I think most of came from fugged up tax laws that started charging taxes on inventory, so everybody said **** it and quit stocking shit

And another thing is outsourcing and next day delivery, both were great ideas, but the outsourcing put another two or three "people" in the supply chain, so they can spread the blame and next day delivery seldom is, at least in my case, oh yeah it showed up next day, at 9 ****ing o'clock at night

3. flange

Being old at forty four is a bitch. I remember the days of driving to the local supplier to pick up a simple order like this. now its a song and two dances just to place the order. Ten they tell you when it will ship and it doesnt. when it doesnt they try to tell you its your fault. god i hate this more and more every day. They tried to tell me we ordered it last week, right up until I sent them the email from the beginning of january placing the order.

This is almost as bad as my issue on the other side of the fence, whereby a certain manufacturer called me a few days ago looking for payment of an invoice. I asked the girl if she was serious, and when she said yes, I sent her a load of emails. The emails contained messags by me to them asking for a deposit invoice, a progress invoice and a final invoice for the product going back to december( i wanted to clear it of out last years money). The got me an invoice last thursday. check couldnt get there that fast. total was almost 310k. if it was making me money, i would have loved it, but at damn near zero percent interest it was just sitting there.

4. Snoring Beagle

Snoring Beagle Need Little - Want Less - Love More

It's that slow boat from China.

5. flange

no doubt.

6. Bustawrench

Bustawrench Knucklehead

Back in the day, you were dealing with pros who got paid a living wage. Now the suppliers seem to be filled with lazy jerkoffs who are too busy watching you-tube to actually work. And seeing as most of them are being paid like Mexicans, I guess I really can't blame them for not caring. Sad but true..........I've watched the supply houses go right down the crapper for the last twenty years and it just plain sucks.

7. Bustawrench

Bustawrench Knucklehead

Yup, that too.

8. somedude

somedude Senior Stalker & PITA, aka zachhvac

Thats exactly what happened.

9. flange

Well, got off the phone with a secondary supplier. They have twenty of the valves in stock, but their quote was 700 higher per valve. Guess they gotta pay for that new warehouse. Due to my history there, they are going to get down to a net difference of only two thousand bucks and deliver friday. not a total loss. its way better than the 14k it would have been based on their quote.

10. Catpower

Having been on both sides of the deal, I can relate to just about everything, a while ago I got a call to build some 480 VAV boxes, they were all in a hurry so I worked the weekend and built them, and even delivered them, when I got back to the shop they called and said they needed them in 277 V, I told them just change the transformer and get some 277V restring kits, they wanted me to drive back to Dallas and do it, told them they couldn't afford to pay me as it was my bi yearly trip in there

It took them 3 weeks to redo 14 boxes, I asked why they couldn't use 480 the guy told me the whole building was 277

I said bullshit, but he said it was. Has any of you ever seen a building that was 277 through out?

11. flange

aint never seen a 277 volt ac unit, but who the hell knows? last time I checked 277 is a byproduct of 480.

12. newtech

newtech 636

We have many buildings with 300+ heat pumps that are 277v. Would be a real pain in the ass to find and change the step down transformer for all 300 units... ( plus the cost to do it )

Main power is 480v..

13. Catpower

We've built 277 volt boxes, but I've never seen or heard of a building that was all 277, 277 is one leg to neutral off 480, so they had to have 480 in the building

14. newtech

newtech 636

True, but the space for the new 480v boxes has a neutral ran to it, not another 277v leg.

Why the buildings i work on ran 277v?? Have seen them both for lighting and hvac..

15. flange

must be single phase heatpumps, which I wouldnt know about but I see its posible. The bldg still has 480 coming in though. would a utity deliver 277? seems odd, but then again we still have two phase chit here.

16. iron

iron we men are wretched things

every commercial office building I know has 277 which is the high leg
    even all the fluorescent light fixtures have 277 volt ballasts in them

17. flange

true, but its delivered to the building bundled as 480. do they sell it as 277?

18. ct_hvac_tech

ct_hvac_tech I specialize in kicking ass.

I pissed one of our suppliers off to a point they don't even like dealing with our company any more. I started telling them when I ordered stuff, that if it's not in the day they say, then cancel the order and don't even bother calling. Ordered up 3 AQ2000 controls from sid harvey at $450 a pop. Said they'd be in monday such and such. Called them that monday and they said won't be here till wednesday. I told them forget about it then. Guy gets all pissed off and says he can't stop the order and now he'll be stuck with them. to which I replied "I don't give a shit."

19. newtech

newtech 636

20. NZ All Blacks Fan

NZ All Blacks Fan Just Another swinging Dick

its the taxes and the "just in time "japanese method supply chain keep overhead low and let some one else carry the inventory - its all about reducing cost and increasing profit for the execs bonuses