1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

I'll be darned! Ford F150 hvac

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Snoring Beagle, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Snoring Beagle

Snoring Beagle Need Little - Want Less - Love More

Coming back from the Upper Peninsula I noticed that the heat was always on. If I turned the temp control knob from hot to cool nothing changed. Everything else was working.

So I tell my better half I'll research it. The web is a wonderful thing. I come up with a blend door that is either broken, cheap abs plastic design where the Electronic actuator connects. The electronic actuator is bad or the control knob which is a pot is bad.

Then there was the heart stopping dealer repair of the broken door charge, $1000 to $1500.
    Got's to pull the dash and maybe the coils.

A less expensive repair for the door some guy in Austin Texas came up with that used a dremel to cut your way in thru the glove box to change the blend door with his heavy duty version.

Then there was the electronics and a lot of question how to determine that.

So I go out and start to look closer at the heater and listen for all the dampers opening and closing. There are three, two are run by vacuum and then that blend door which is electronic.

Hmmmm... the vacuum ones are doing their thing. So is the blend door sort of. It's actuating only on one end of the dial. :headscratch:

Then it dawns on me that this electronic setup at no different than some of them hot and cold water 24 volt dc valves I deal with. Ah ha the actuator needs to be calibrated again!!

So I drive the door actuator fully open then fully closed a couple of times, listen to what is moving and feeling the air coming out the ducts. Ta da it's working again!

No where in all the research I did on the web was this test or check out mentioned.

I'll be darned... the actuator forgot where it was at in it's travel.

Anybody know if I could be right :dancenana:
    or
    just making something outta nothing? :dunno:

2. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

You're probably right, once I had an 85 F 250 that the dampers didn't work right, they were rusted in place, and I had to take the dashboard out to fix it is a Mo Fo to take out and put back in

But it was a good experiance the next spring I had to take it back out to change the evap coil

3. CincyHVAC

CincyHVAC Hoptimus Prime, Master of Beer-Fu

Sounds right to me as well. I have a 2002 Explorer that had the same issue a year ago. Only the linkage on the fresh air damper was broken......

4. jrbenny

jrbenny Yuge member

My Silverado did that. Had to cycle it a few times to get it blending again. Damn door would stick in full heat and you'd be sweating like a MoFo on a 90F day.

5. oroy54

oroy54 New Member

Mine was the same Beagle.. Cooling one moment and hit a bump bingo go to heat... For right now I put a shut off valve on the heater hose coming from the engine. Just like in the old days.. Just open it up come winter.

6. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

man I thought ford came out with a new truck or something geared toward us folks. ac, how about 2/55.

7. Snoring Beagle

Now dat be da Roy I remember...

[​IMG]

8. oroy54

oroy54 New Member

On a later model trucks, there are no vacuum hoses under the dash..
    The fail safe position for automotive systems is to fail to the inside windshield defrost mode.
    Vacuum or not....

9. Jay 41

Jay 41 Whole-ass

It's says Ford.......It should say drive immediately to junk yard.........and run like hell.:lachen::lachen::lachen:

10. CincyHVAC

Damn.............:loltard:

11. yoop

yoop Money talks......but all mine says is "Goodbye"!

There's a sensor in all vehicles that automatically brings on the heat once you cross the mighty Mac. There's no reason for vehicles to have air conditioning up here in da U.P.. The sensor must have stuck once you fudgies got below the bridge, since they should automatically open back up once down in troll-land, allowing your a/c to once again work. :D

P.S.
    You will have to bring the vehicle back across the bridge to a dealership up here. U.P. dealershiops are the only ones who know where the sensor is! ;)

12. CincyHVAC

I didn't need my ac until I got as far south as Piqua, Ohio...........:D

You got a beautiful state, Yoop........

13. oroy54

oroy54 New Member

An F-150 or a car A/C is a 4 ton unit...

14. Snoring Beagle

Yeppers that yoo pee is all black top and trees. One big reservation it be!

15. oroy54

oroy54 New Member

Why do you think the use R12 or 134? It"s like a rolling refrigerator.
    A house in South Texas needs that.. It is 104 F right now.. I need to hook up a trailer for work tomorrow.
    I will have to use leather gloves to touch any metal.

3 blow outs on tires in the last 6 weeks.