1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Leaky Gas Valves-the Real Cause

Discussion in 'Residential' started by QuickRick, Nov 14, 2017.

1. QuickRick

QuickRick Proud to be a Deplorable

Guys ,

In this October's Mid-Atlantic HVAC Insider Magazine is an article by David Richardson about leaky gas valves and the very simple reason that they leaked. I will give you a hint; it has a lot to do with the installation. This old fashioned installation tip is just as relevant as ever it seems.

http://www.hvacinsider.com/national/tech-carbon-monoxide-leaking-gas-valves

You may have to cut and paste the link into your browser but it's worth the effort.

QR

Zman and Chuck like this.
  2. doc havoc

doc havoc A cunning linguist

Interesting CO test to determine leakage.

3. NZ All Blacks Fan

NZ All Blacks Fan Just Another swinging Dick

Canadian standards req a drip leg on any drop over 3ft - I put them on all drops to the appliance regardless

jpb2 likes this.
  4. knave

knave Undeterred

Lots of gas valves have a screen in them. How could the missing drip leg cause a gv to lock open if it has a screen.

5. MOFO the psychic gorilla

MOFO the psychic gorilla sitting on two achers

The last house I sold they tried negotiating with some know-it-all arrogant inspector. One of the things he pulled was the leaking gas valve with electronic detector at the manifold. Another was ac wire and breaker size. I was like are you kidding me. I bayatch slapped him in a response point by point sent to my lawyer. I got to see the lawyers actual response and he didn't mention any of it but told them to eff off lol :uzi:

6. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

Nothing worse than a code nazi

Texas-Tech likes this.
  7. Chuck

Chuck SSP

Works better on natural draft, I’ve found a few. I never did find one that way with induced draft, not saying it’s impossible just haven’t seen it.

doc havoc likes this.
  8. Chuck

Chuck SSP

I wish David Richardson would come here more often

9. knave

knave Undeterred

X2

10. knave

knave Undeterred

X2 @Doc

11. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

****ing home inspectors are a ****ing joke. I am always reminded of one who wrote up aluminum wire to a can coil,it is legal so I just loosened the lug screws and shot some NoAlox in there to make it look like i was doing something. While I was crawling across the attic there was a garden hose running across the rafters,I followed it it was going to a gas log lighter, and out the soffet to the gas meter, not a ****ing thing wrote up about it

But it was when i got done

12. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Always questioned the use of Teflon tape as a potential hindrance to a valve closing. Prefer pipe dope. Seen a lot of missing drip legs when I worked as a Gas Policeman. Some of the old timers used a match on an extender to check for leaks! :eek:

oroy54 likes this.
  13. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

It might have been, quite a while ago Carrier put out a service bulletin about not using teflon on gas piping,but it was probably just a reason to get the heat off them because of the sorry ****ing Essex gas valves they used

You could always know in advance you had a bad Essex gas valve, it was the one a 2am on a no heat with a bad T'couple.The failure was when you turned it to pilot to light it, it wouldn't turn back to on, so you got to change a gas valve in the dark of the night

14. doc havoc

doc havoc A cunning linguist

Been there, saw that and did it once myself. Theoretically, it is completely safe. As long as you discount the obvious danger of catching something on fire. There is no air in the gas line, so no fire could burn inside the line. And as long as a positive pressure remains in the gas line the flame should never burn back inside anyhow. Same reason a Bic lighter doesn't burn back inside the lighter. Doesn't mean I'm ever going to do it again though.

15. HMD

HMD does it matter?

guess im an old timer.

16. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

Do you own the channellock match extender with the blue handle?

17. ACE Heating & Cooling

ACE Heating & Cooling New Member

I prefer pipe dope thats just me.

No advertising in the open forum please keep it in your profile

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2017 at 8:54 PM
  18. Jon

Jon Team Canada

You guess :dunno::headscratch::confused::rolleyes:

19. MNHVAC

MNHVAC Man on a mission

[​IMG]

doc havoc likes this.