1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Markets

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by pintofstout, Sep 26, 2017.

1. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

I'm at our local supermarket and i saw this new meat cooler. Saw a vacuum pump pulling through a manifold on a system with no micron gauge.

Maybe he's going to check microns later. But the manifold? You guys pull through a manifold? Especially on an evap that was just piped in?

Just curious. Not offended or calling him a hack, just was surprised to see this in a market. Their the pickiest of all in my experience.

We're mostly ac and i don't think any of our guys pull through a manifold on something like a newly piped install....[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

Not un common if it was a change out, but I would pull a vac from the rack not in the case,,,,,,or I would just purge that bitch :D

3. Joeysmith

Joeysmith New Member

I'll admit it. I pull through my 4 port manifold all the time. Hook 2 hoses to the pump and 2 to the system.
    Don't bring out the micron gauge every time but when I do it's never seemed slow to pull down. Let the beatings begin. :chairshot:

4. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

If the rack is on the roof I would pull from the case

5. MNHVAC

MNHVAC Man on a mission

I'm working on my first triple evacuation on my trainer. (Still in school) Pretty cool stuff.

Ballvalve79 and freeworld like this.
  6. frozensolid

frozensolid Psychologist's Dream

I have to agree the lineset should still be full of vapor unless you pumped it down into a vac. Case should be dry and charged with nitro. So just get the nitro and any air out and you are golden. A vac pump on a circuit that is ball valved off almost always leaks some vapor. So a vac pump is not going to pull out moisture that is not in vapor form anyway.

mike1020 likes this.
  7. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

Huh. Ok. I just thought i was mainstream but I'm super anal.

But.... How do you know it's a leak free system then? You guys use nitro?

8. frozensolid

In my case if the circuit was good before and the new case under pressure? The only doubt you should have is the welds you did. A mirror and ultimately a bit of soap will solve that part of the equation.

Rather B Riding likes this.
  9. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

Because were Professionals and never have leaks! :bowdown:

10. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

I do nitro pressure test and I don't always use a micron gague.

11. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

Well, all the piping to this case is new, and the condensing unit out back is new. It's all new stuff.

My thing is this- sometimes it takes me a half hour just to get set up with a rig that can pull and hold a deep vacuum against a closed valve. I'll go through a couple hoses sometimes or replace gasket or two before even opening up to the system.

If you're picky about making sure your rig is even capable of pulling a deep vacuum, it turns out that it can be very difficult.

The reason I'm so picky is simple- I'm too lazy to go get nitrogen, to constantly be swapping out cylinders, strapping them into my truck. I braze with it and put it away. leak proof with vacuum instead of positive.

Of course, if something's pumped down somewhere on that system then that's different, those valves won't hold up to a vacuum.

12. frozensolid

The problem with that is if you have a leak you are pulling moisture into the system.

13. mike1020

If it's valved off at the rack, the valves never hold. So if you use nitrogen you end up pushing the nitrogen into the low side. If you pull a vacuum you will never see a good micron level due to the valves leaking by.

Best to just check all your joints with a mirror.

392problemchild and LemonWizard like this.
  14. mike1020

We had a big problem with this.

Someone forgot to braze a joint and pulled a vacuum for a long time and really contaminated the system with all the humid air that got pulled through the system.

15. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

That's obviously valid but I've just never had that issue. It's always been fairly quickly apparent if there's going to be a pre-existing leak somewhere out there. Then the nitro comes out, leak gets patched, and all that moisture is nullified.

Actually i DID turn a system acidic over just a weekend of dragging in air, i have to cop to that since i posted about it here.... But that was one that I'd checked with nitrogen, and the vacuum collapsed a gasket off the peckerhead. That one was too large to leak check with vacuum.

Aside from that though, works pretty well for me....

16. Chuck

Chuck The Other Dude

I had to change a float in the oil seperator today. After valving everything off I still had a little gas flowing from a valve somewhere that wouldn't seat.

It was continuously flowing out while I had the system open so I didn't get any air in. Didn't even vacuum at all this time, just opened things up and let it fly.

#rackhack

newtech, coldsnap, mike1020 and 3 others like this.
  17. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

Yeah that defiantly changes the equation. I recently did similar thing on a DX chiller that wouldn't hold, but when i started it back up i had hot suction line and a babbling brook running through the sight glass.

Turned out i had lost ONE HUNDRED pounds of 422d from that trickle. Eeh, maybe shoulda recovered that one.

Texas-Tech and Chuck like this.
  18. Chuck

Chuck The Other Dude

Yes, not sure how much I lost but receiver level was not noticeably lower after I restarted it.

19. Chuck

Chuck The Other Dude

It's HP80 and I think we almost have the store owner convinced to let us change gas.

20. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

Ooh that stuffs expensive. Or maybe I'm thinking hot shot that's crazy expensive