1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Markets

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by pintofstout, Sep 26, 2017.

1. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

Maybe it was just the company i worked for. As an apprentice i had days where i just spent all day cleaning the rack, mopping the floors. Their racks were spotless, always just thought that was a market thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

no, its the same in commercial hvac. Some buildings you can eat of the floors, others you protect yourself before going in. For 10 years I had two buildings that were the nicest high rises in the city. Procedure was get there at 7, have coffee with staff until 8, then set up to do your work. When doing the air compressors( mid size screws), they KNEW that no matter what happened, oil would drip in at least one spot, so they simply had the staff painter ready. As soon as I was done, they would clean up the oil drips, scrap high spots, then repaint the floors, lol. I think they eventually had an inch of paint on that chiller plant floor. In other places, they were soo dirty you wore booties to protect your shoes, lol.

3. LemonWizard

LemonWizard Blinky Lights Wizard

This is my experience as well, even if you can get to a good vacuum it won't hold due to leak through. On the other hand you know the linesets are free of air so there is just the coil to quickly evac.

4. LemonWizard

LemonWizard Blinky Lights Wizard

The fundamental problem with leak checking with a vacuum is that you are testing joints (and the cheap chinese copper for that matter) at basically 15 psi (atmos vs vacuum) instead of 100 or 150 psi versus atmos.

Not saying it doesn't work for you just pointing it out

5. frozensolid

frozensolid Psychologist's Dream

A complete new system startup whether a rack or single circuit has different rules from a active system retrofit.

Active system: Quick pumpdown or blow and go. Mirror check all new joints. Recheck with soap under refer pressure.

New startup 300 psi nitro whole system for 24 hours. Then pump till it holds less than 200 microns for 30 minutes. Break with refer add till running properly.

Virgins need more care or it will turn to a service slut later. The girl that's been around is more forgiving. :)

6. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

Well yeah this little innocent flower in the photo was brand new top to bottom. I see she's had her cherry popped today though, couple hundred pounds of meat in er..

7. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

Yeah i get that, but I've been burned by 250 psi dozens of times and been burned by 500 microns zero times. Ok once maybe.... One time for sure....

But so many times I've sat on 250 for an hour only to not achieve vacuum, repressurize with tracer gas and nitro, and find some tiny little freaking flare leaking two miles away from anything I've been wrenching on.

When i have a trainee i use nitro so as not to pass on bad habits though.

8. Chuck

Chuck The Other Dude

Not doubting you, but how have you been burned by 250 psi?

9. oroy54

oroy54 New Member

I did not read all of this, but a micron gauge is not the holy grail of vacuums.

mike1020 likes this.
  10. frozensolid

frozensolid Psychologist's Dream

But it's easier than mercury

11. HMD

HMD does it matter?

a vac -q doesn't lie, neither a mercury manometer.

12. knave

knave Undeterred

Father Time doesn’t lie.
    Fixed the leak? We’ll see.

13. HMD

HMD does it matter?

and i wish father time would sit down, instead of advancing on a skate board

knave likes this.
  14. somedude

somedude Senior Stalker & PITA, aka zachhvac

When i worked for that nice company who stole money from me in California after my second week i would go to the supply house first and buy at least a gallon of degreaser , put it in a brass sprayer and degrease the entire rack.
    One morning my mrg wanted to meet me for breakfast
    He said he was concerned about my attitude, i explained that his stores where an absolute disaster and he challenged me. I said pick a store.
    We drove to the store and removed 12 refrigerant drums, 9 empty oil gallon containers , the room had no light, it had kitty litter 2 inches deep on the floor, contactors so oversized the covers could not close etc etc etc . The idiot who was 'taking care' of the stores is still there , in California its not what you do or dont do, they just want obedient little sycophants

15. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

Not letting it sit long enough, pressure stays at exactly 250 for an hour and still has a leak. In that hour, if you go straight to the pump, it's generally pretty apparent that your not going to be pulling a deep vacuum. Then the nitro comes out.

16. 392problemchild

392problemchild New Member

I was taught not to use nitrogen on an individual case so theirs no chance on contaminating the refrigerant.

17. pintofstout

pintofstout New Member

Yeah i wouldn't use nitro or expect a deep vacuum on something with valves that had refr on the other side.

18. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

a small leak needs more than an hour to show its head. consider how small some leaks can be and then the volume of gas you used to test. its not like water which is essentially noncompressible its why they tell you test for 24 hours.

Zman, mike1020 and crackertech like this.
  19. Chuck

Chuck The Other Dude

Speaking of market racks and pulling vacuums, I think I caused some heartburn on 3. On a thread discussing the finer points of micron levels I posted that on racks we just purge and go. Probably get bant

Jon and LemonWizard like this.
  20. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

Lol