1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Mechanical float or wet switch?

Discussion in 'Commercial' started by Rather B Riding, Sep 15, 2017.

1. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

I always liked the mechanical float over the wet switch.
    Today I found a mechanical float on a PM service that I will be changing to a wet switch.
    Made 2 girls move away from a desk in a server room so I could change the filter. Horizontal in the ceiling. Secondary pan was almost completely full float was right at the point of opening the switch but the unit is still running. Wasn't positioned very well. Might have gotten knocked around by the IT guys as the drain was disconnected .
    As I look at this 2" pan with 1-7/8 " water in it, I'm thinking that's a lot of damn weight. It's just a sheet metal pan but luckily the installers did a good job hanging it. After getting the water out and fixing the drain, I roughly estimated the amount of water and weight. 22 gallons roughly 180 pounds.
    That would have made a big mess if the pan collapsed. They sell the diversitech brand around here. Good bad? Who's using what?

2. coldsnap

coldsnap -20 on the money

The last one i got was the size of a hockey puck, I think it was a diversitech. No issues with it.

3. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Hockey Puck. But you got to dry em out after fixing water issue...and don't make the Girls move. Being on a ladder gives good sight lines! :D:rolleyes:

Catpower and coldsnap like this.
  4. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

I have seen those pans under long fan coils get full of water and buckle in the middle, you talk about a ****ing flood, glad none of it was my chit

5. freeworld

freeworld Freon Jockey

6. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

That's what I was afraid of. I've seen it too. It wasn't huge but 3x5x2" deep is still a lot of weight for a 26ga sheet metal pan.

Catpower likes this.
  7. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

For that much money, they must be connected to one of those Life Alert Call Centers! "Help,the Pan is full and it won't Drain"

Rather B Riding likes this.
  8. newtech

newtech 636