1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Millennials: need tutorials on how to use hammers and tape measures

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by Daryl_Dixon, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Daryl_Dixon

Daryl_Dixon New Member

As wall street analysts celebrate the coming of age of the millennial generation, a group of young people who were supposed to lead another revolutionary wave of consumerism if only they could work long enough to escape their parents' basement, retailers like Home Depot are panicked about selling into what will soon be America's largest demographic...but not for the reasons you might think.

While avocado resellers like Whole Foods only have to worry about creating a catchy advertising campaign to attract millennials, Home Depot is in full-on panic mode after realizing that an entire generation of Americans have absolutely no clue how to use their products. As the Wall Street Journal points out, the company has been forced to spend millions to create video tutorials and host in-store classes on how to do everything from using a tape measure to mopping a floor and hammering a nail.

Home Depot's VP of marketing admits she was originally hesitant because she thought some of their videos might be a bit too "condescending" but she quickly learned they were very necessary for our pampered millennials.

Rest of the article here: http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-...rced-host-tutorials-using-tape-measures-hamme

2. Sdeery

Sdeery Machinist in training

[​IMG]

Daryl_Dixon likes this.
  3. Ballvalve79

Ballvalve79 It's only fire what could go wrong

I have had a few very young apprentice millennials come through they typically have no idea how to use tools at all,have seen them fight with channel locks and other tools I can't remember not knowing how to use. That said I am 38 as of last week. I didn't think I was old school until I caught myself telling my boss that I don't mind helping someone in the trade with trade knowledge but I had a problem with teaching the use of basic tools and such. He laughed and said better get used to it that's what's coming in now. I could rant about stupidity from the millennials for days but in the end I guess it in my best interest to not and try and help the helpless little ba$tards.

mike1020, jpb2 and Daryl_Dixon like this.
  4. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

Its a true trickle down economy. There good at making money so they can now afford to pay my old overpriced ass a sh!t load more Dollar$ to do simple jobs witch is what i do best!

5. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak New Member

I've seen this in nearly everyone I've hired. Not just the young guys either. The main problem is they don't want to learn because it involves work.

Zach

6. flange

flange Act like you care and do SOMETHING!!

I am old enough that during my childhood, it wasn't even an option. Dad made us learn how to jack up cars and change tires, do oil changes, light carpentry, you name it. By the time I was a teenager, I was working on small engines in my trails bikes and ultimately rebuilding my two stroke after race days. I made my own jig for bicycle and motorcycle wheel alignment, and started charging friends to do their wheels. Working in this trade became an extension of my childhood. I was fortunate in knowing how ot use tools when I started my apprenticeship, which opened up a lot of opportunities for me that the less experience apprenti just didn't get.

These days, people don't work on their own cars or houses, they hire people to do everything it seems. Good for trades folks, but bad in another way.

4x4Freak, Ballvalve79 and crackertech like this.
  7. MOFO the psychic gorilla

MOFO the psychic gorilla sitting on two achers

Schools are one of the reasons we moved a while back.
    At my kids jr.hs. in the class that teaches cooking and cleaning dishes they also fix holes in drywall made with hammers and wire light light switches.

I don't want to post what the teachers teach the kids in high school so nobody gets in trouble but I approve :cool:

8. Snoring Beagle

Snoring Beagle Need Little - Want Less - Love More

I'm a Zerohedge reader from the beginning.

9. knave

knave Undeterred

I am a millennial.

zamoramax and Texas-Tech like this.
  10. Jon

Jon Team Canada

:banned:

:D

11. Jon

Jon Team Canada

Wait a second I guess I am too :D

Texas-Tech and knave like this.
  12. knave

knave Undeterred

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    coldsnap and Jon like this.
  13. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

knave likes this.
  14. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

It is pathetic how uneducated some of them are. I tried to get our youngest son to work with me so I could teach his something, but all he wanted to do was get in every extra curriculum activity the school offered so I gave up.

He has finally figured out if you are going to live by minimal standards you had better figure out how to do shit yourself. Having them live close is good and bad, we need the help sometimes, but after we get it we wished we would have just hired someone else so the job isn't so ****ed up

And his kids are much worse then him, the oldest one is going on 18 and doesn't have a ****ing clue about anything except Pokeman or how ever they spell it.his #2 is pretty good but he is getting full of pubescent cockiness, that sometime in the near future I see him getting the shit slapped out of him like his father did one time when he was a wise ass. He swore to Ila I slugged him, nope just a flat hand twice, the first time was for what he did, the second time was picking himself off the ground with that same attitude.

His attitude changed real fast

MNHVAC, newtech and Zman like this.
  15. frozensolid

frozensolid Psychologist's Dream

This explains alot. :) My kids are also Millennials they can read a tape. But they will be 20 minutes late reading it.

newtech and Catpower like this.
  16. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

But they all can use a Cell Phone very well...or Nintendo!

17. Daryl_Dixon

Daryl_Dixon New Member

There are always outliers. :cheers:

zamoramax likes this.
  18. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

I'm an American. :)

19. MOFO the psychic gorilla

MOFO the psychic gorilla sitting on two achers

I'm hungry
    Nice to meet ya

Daryl_Dixon likes this.
  20. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

You remind me of an event last week, just let me say kids aren't the only ones that can't read a tape measure right

We were installing travertine marble tiles on the back splash, I was running the tile saw and my sweet wife was doing the measuring.

We resolved the problem by just putting the tile where it was going and making a pencil mark on where it needed to be cut:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

Daryl_Dixon, Texas-Tech and newtech like this.