1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

MO99 vs 407c

Discussion in 'Residential' started by jamesyarbrough, Jul 26, 2017.

1. jamesyarbrough

jamesyarbrough Amateur Gynecologist

bossman is finally interested in r22 replacements. he asked me what I think and I told him 407c is the way to go. the guy at the supply house told him mo99 is best....they don't sell 407c.

do you guys have experience with both? what do u think?

2. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

About equil.

Don't believe the crap No POE needed, add some or Supco 88

Change all rubber seals.

Mcool and Daryl_Dixon like this.
  3. R2D2-TX

R2D2-TX New Member

Stick with R22 and price it accordingly... we will add R22 if the customer is wanting it with the understanding it won't last. This will make them think about upgrading to 410a... we advised a customer last Friday to not add 4lbs of R22.. but she was real adamant about it and was willing to pay several hundred bucks... so against our recommendation she had us add the refrigerant.. she called back on Sunday and said it is 85 degrees in her house.. we took her a portable unit to keep a bedroom cool while she is trying to secure financing.. she is a good example of a customer that think they know what is best for them. I feel sorry for her ... no one has a coffee can full of cash waiting on the ac system to fail.. heat seems to do something to peoples attitude... do or die..
    Another one bites the dust✌️

We all will be better off when R22 is gone!!!!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  4. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

We have used both, more MO-99 than 407c. Haven't had any trouble yet

5. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

407C and 422B,both seem to be close to R22,slightly lower suction,little higher Head.All we have used so far.No oil change.

6. Bustawrench

Bustawrench Knucklehead

407c has been working just fine in Liebert Units for 20 years, but they use POE oil.

We tried both MO99 and 422b and found that the 422b results in less problems for us, so that's what we use now.

Be prepared to deal with oil return problems and loss of capacity, no matter which one you choose for retrofitting old 22 systems.

Mcool and Texas-Tech like this.
  7. Swampfox

Swampfox red tagged

407C has the least capacity loss, but no isobutane like the others to help with oil return, so definitely add some POE at least or risk oil problems.

8. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

I mix them 50/50 that way I get the best of both worlds:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

9. jamesyarbrough

pur install crew changed a compressor today and retrofitted mo99. I gave him my test 557 and showed him how to use it so he could get proper charge.

he however, chose not to use it and googled a to chart. told him there were two sets of numbers. one for sh one for sc. he didn't know what I was talking about.

this ain't gonna work out.

10. 22blood

22blood red wire nuts only

Go on strike until r22 comes back

coldsnap, HMD, jamesyarbrough and 2 others like this.
  11. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

I'm guessing he couldn't do it even if it was r22

Zman likes this.
  12. jamesyarbrough

he s a good tech. he just has 0 experience or education with drop ins and was pretty much set of for failure.

13. knave

knave Undeterred

Tell him to get it right or go mulch your garden! No time for crazy callbacks eh?

Mcool, jamesyarbrough and Catpower like this.
  14. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

Nah have him pull weeds,mulching is easy

jamesyarbrough and knave like this.
  15. Joey791

Joey791 New Member

Previous employer was using R407C in Trane scrolls, we were eating compressors like hotcakes and had to go back to R-22, if you even try it on a Trane scroll make sure to get ALL of the old oil out the system.............

16. HMD

HMD does it matter?

ahem................ i object!

mike1020 likes this.
  17. HMD

HMD does it matter?

i think they are discussing reefer, not drinks
    i like mine stronger

Catpower likes this.
  18. HMD

HMD does it matter?

and 11,12, 113, 114, 500, 502

Rather B Riding and newtech like this.
  19. R/HVAC

R/HVAC selfemployed

I tried to make a rubber o-ring seal from a liquid line solenoid that started leaking after a conversion from r22 > r407c pop like I saw in a video. Pulled a vacuum on it like the video showed, nothing happened. We used a pint mason jar and took it to < 500 microns in 10 minutes. Guess we didn't do it right.

20. jpb2

jpb2 Dog Tard *

This transition is good for business. I cant control at all what the dealers do. Some will go to the end of the earth to repair before even offering a common sense replacement. These blends suck even when put in propper.

Rather B Riding likes this.