1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

MO99 vs 407c

Discussion in 'Residential' started by jamesyarbrough, Jul 26, 2017.

1. 404eh

404eh New Member

Suction pipe leak, that cap tube was rubbed to being severed so I changed it. Didn't have a grommet or electrical fitting so they got some anchors 20170807_141700.jpg

LemonWizard and mike1020 like this.
  2. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

What is the 100% "leak free" proving method?

knave likes this.
  3. 404eh

404eh New Member

An appropriate vacuum

4. 404eh

404eh New Member

Forgot to mention one of those captibes shocked me. Wasn't cool, but lesson learned to shut of the disconnect

5. AEW

AEW New Member

Either a nitrogen pressure test, or a vacuum test.

Sent from my Z981 using Tapatalk

6. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

Old story and it was a 404A system so not related to the type of refrigerant. Had a med temp restaurant system with multiple evaps on one condenser. Would go down low on charge. 3# it's full. Leak search nothing. Went through this process about 4-5 times with different techs. Took 6-8 weeks to leak down.
    Finally we decided to get a bunch of techs rip out the counter and break this system down into each component after hours. A shit load of red bulls and nitrogen, I'm on the roof pumping shit up to 450 something has to pop right?
    The condenser is holding 450. We have tried pressure, vacuum test, leak detector and bubbles with no luck.
    I'm squirting everything with bubbles thinking something has to show bubbles. My service manager says "what if it only leaks when it's running?" He starts kicking the compressor and bubbles at the pressure switch. It was a barrel switch. High head CO. Right where the wires went into it. We kept checking it all the way down to 150 psi. Don't touch the compressor no bubbles even at 450. Shake it and it leaks like a SOB at 150.
    I hate leaks and time is the only thing that will convenience me they are gone.

LemonWizard, knave and mike1020 like this.
  7. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

@knave had a rack system loosing 100# a week, had isolated and pressure tested most the circuits. Multiple people had leak checked extensively.

All of a sudden an Alco TXV just started spraying.

Like you say, time is the only thing to convince me a leak is gone.

Rather B Riding likes this.
  8. mike1020

I have an old evaporator coil with a stubby gauge hooked onto it, it will hold at 200# of nitrogen for days, and all of sudden this pinhole opens up and it starts to rapidly loose pressure and then stops.

There are a lot of odd leaks that pressure tests and vacuum tests will miss.

LemonWizard, Zman and Rather B Riding like this.
  9. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

X2 oh the story's I could tell

mike1020 likes this.
  10. Texas-Tech

Texas-Tech Official Geezer*

I had one that did the exact same thing

Rather B Riding likes this.
  11. AEW

AEW New Member

I see this sometimes in evap coils. There's no leak in the summer, but when the furnace gets cooking in the winter that's when the leak shows.

12. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

That's cause You's Old ! :beer:

13. Chuck

Chuck SSP

So the only way you can walk away from a refrigeration system repair is to pull a deep vacuum to prove no leaks? How does that work out in a supermarket system?

14. crackertech

crackertech assholiness *

Purge that bitch and walk away :loltard:

Chuck and Rather B Riding like this.
  15. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

Fixed!

Rather B Riding and crackertech like this.
  16. Rather B Riding

Rather B Riding Behind bars

So I'm not the only one drove crazy with weird ass leaks. Did a residential side job. 4 months later 4# low. After hours of leak check, found pin holes in the new line set. Had to hit 400 psi and rip off the armaflex but I ripped it out and brought it back to the supply house where I bought it. New, new line set. Been leak free for 7 years. Old school shit of only checking braze joints and coils died 10-15 years ago. Everything is suspected now days.

17. AEW

AEW New Member

Chinese copper

18. mike1020

Some of these leaks drive you out of your mind.

knave likes this.
  19. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

So your saying there is No Surefire ,100% leak Free Proving Method? :headscratch:

R2D2-TX likes this.
  20. AEW

AEW New Member

Due diligence....