1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Mobile home evaporator failures

Discussion in 'Residential' started by jamesyarbrough, Oct 4, 2017.

1. jamesyarbrough

jamesyarbrough Amateur Gynecologist

2014 Clayton mobile home on its 4th evaporator. A.c. electric heat down flow

I get the call to check it out and see why there's so many failures.

It's a little shy on air. Nothing serious. Check system for acid and found none.

There has to be something corrosive in the air. I can't find anything tho.

Any opinions?

2. Chuck

Chuck SSP

What illicit stuff are they cooking in the house? At least that's what I always think of when I think trailer house

mike1020 and Daryl_Dixon like this.
  3. doc havoc

doc havoc A cunning linguist

Cats? Chinese drywall? Badgers? Open cleaning agents?
    What brand of evap? Maybe they just suck and you need to butcher in some other brand?
    @Chuck your new avatar is lame.:D

jpb2 and Chuck like this.
  4. doc havoc

Copied from another site. I can neither confirm nor deny, but sounds legit.

Building materials, furniture and common cleaning solutions slowly emit fumes called volatile organic compounds (VOCs), particularly formaldehyde, into indoor air. In a tightly sealed, energy-efficient house, formaldehyde fumes may accumulate to significant levels. In addition to the negative impact on healthy indoor air quality, concentrated formaldehyde reacts with condensation on the copper evaporator coil tubing to create formic acid – actually, the same substance that gives fire ants their notorious sting. Formicary corrosion of the copper results, slowly eating microscopic pinholes in the tubing and leaking refrigerant.

jpb2 likes this.
  5. doc havoc

jpb2 likes this.
  6. knave

knave Undeterred

That’s more than one per year.

7. doc havoc

The article I linked above says this formicary corrosion can create pinholes in weeks to months, not years.

jpb2 likes this.
  8. Daryl_Dixon

Daryl_Dixon New Member

Wonder what that does to one's lungs?

oroy54 likes this.
  9. doc havoc

Sometimes, ignorance is bliss.

10. knave

knave Undeterred

Hadn’t read it yet, but did now. That’s a very good article sir.

11. knave

knave Undeterred

As long as your lungs are made out of aluminum and not copper you will be just fine

Zman, jpb2 and doc havoc like this.
  12. doc havoc

I can only take credit for locating it. Obviously was not written by me. Or maybe you were referring to Mr. Boyd?:D

knave likes this.
  13. knave

knave Undeterred

Meant, good find.

Not the usual fluff and bull crap, such as “heat pump water heaters are awesome“

doc havoc likes this.
  14. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

Fire ants also like to breed in wet dirt, probably they just dump the condensate under the trailer:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

But I would guess low bid low quality

Our house is a modular, but it was built by a manufactured house (trailer) company. It is probably one of the best built houses I have ever seen, I have never been in the attic but after it survived an EF3 tornado with minimal damage one of our friends that has been in the building trade for a long time, was in the attic fixing some sheet rock cracks that weren't really caused bu the tornado, they were caused by Houston Black Clay heaving and contracting, he said he had never seen a building built so over engineered. He said he couldn't believe how well it was reinforced, and every joint was screwed and liquid nails holding it together to boot.

But there are somethings that are so trailer house, nothing major just minor shit like the electric outlets I had to **** with all day yesterday, but it is the same way with custom home builders too

One time about 30 some years ago I had to go on a warranty cal for a Kohler hot tub they built in the house. A doctor had filled out a punch list of shit he saw that he wanted fixed, since waiting on a hot tub to get up to temp takes an hour or two, I went through the house and did a real punch list. The house had sold for $995,000, that was a pile of money back then. I gave him a spiral note book full of ****ed up things in the house.

He really thanked me, the home builder wanted to shoot me, but it wasn't one of the home builders we worked for so I said **** em

Zman likes this.
  15. jays 65

jays 65 New Member

after hours meth lab

16. genesis

genesis Bass fishing guru

Check the grounding stake on the mobile home. Could be short or bad or just a bad connection. You could be getting a ground thru you HVAC system instead of the grounding steak. This can cause electrolysis.

oroy54, Zman, jpb2 and 2 others like this.
  17. LemonWizard

LemonWizard Blinky Lights Wizard

I wanted to buy modular when I bought my hojse but the money fairies were cooperating. Very high build quality with them from my research, helps that they built in controlled conditions with QA people and not inspectors.

Catpower likes this.
  18. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

It's a very nice house,but as all the old sayings go like you can take the boy out of the country, but you can't take the country out of the boy, you can't take the mobile out of modular builders, but it just a few minor things

19. NZ All Blacks Fan

NZ All Blacks Fan Just Another swinging Dick

there was or is an issue with Chinese manuf drywall imported into the country a few years ago causing all sorts of issues - seems they decided that fly ash is the same as pot ash aka they made drywall from ashes that came out of their factory chimneys - now that caused all kinds of issues with plumbing - wiring and hvac equipment not to mention health issues.

the gummit did get the drywall removed from the homes I believe but they recycled it and mixed it in with other drywall and made new drywall outa it

20. jpb2

jpb2 Dog Tard *

Copper stretched thinner and poorer quality. Homes are tighter than they used to be and more contaminents. One fact I learned is that where outdoor air is required the failures take longer to happen. Another question to ponder if one believes air quality isnt a factor is why so few outdoor coil failures ?

Catpower, ISOTHERMAL and crackertech like this.