1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

My new project ...hopefully help my back and knees

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by truecountry, Feb 3, 2018.

1. truecountry

truecountry gosh damn mrs sg is mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm and sum

Getting older I need a lil help doing the fire wood for my outside wood burner.
    Don't get me wrong the wood burner has saved a lot of money over the years and even temps this year of 5 and lil lower she still only needs wood every 12 hours and basement is 76 up stairs 80 to 82 ..
    But I cant bend over and cut wood like I use too lol ...
    So I been gathering info and metal and few odds and ends to build a wood processor .. Complete Processor Final Assby.JPG

Zman and Ballvalve79 like this.
  2. truecountry

I will be changing this design some what but it going to be simple ramp hinged and 12 volt winch to pull logs to it and feed ...plus no hydraulic saw ..going to use stihl powersaw

3. truecountry

oh and why yall may ask why do I need a processor ...my workplace clears land and I get all the logs 15 to 18 feet lengths all species

4. chucko615

chucko615 Banned camp counselor

Allen, I saw a processor a couple months ago and it had the feed belt angled up to dump into a trailer

truecountry likes this.
  5. truecountry

they are nice .. ive made a few conveyors at saw mill I worked at but its not in budget ...small out feed no belt to bucket on front of tractor ...and to shed

6. truecountry

chuck I have enough scrap metal from odd jobs and winches I think it will work ...one job we are doing now has a sh-t load of scrap steel they want hauled off of job site asap ..its a gov job too go figure

7. Joeysmith

Joeysmith New Member

Saw someone is making one for the front of a skid steer. Pricey as hell for the average homeowner but looked slicker than opossum sh!t. Think it had a $20k price tag.

truecountry likes this.
  8. Sdeery

Sdeery Machinist in training

Neat looking stuff, I follow a couple of guys on youtube who do similar stuff. Cotontop3, and letsdig18.
    If I am ever in your neck of the woods I will have to stop by and play with your toys.

sdeery

truecountry likes this.
  9. jpb2

jpb2 Dog Tard *

I will start this with one comment. I am not starting an argument just want to give you something to think about. If you count all your time at 10.00 an hour fabricating and doing this. Add the time to cut wood and feed this beast is it really worth the savings ? My guess is you enjoy the work and realky have not put a pencil to it. Your bride can get a sweet deal in a 90+ % efficient furnace and the work and mess go away. More time to work in getting her nekkid :). Just my.02

10. Ballvalve79

Ballvalve79 It's only fire what could go wrong

Go for it nothing like telling the propane man to get bent. In my area of NW PA they are crying shortage because it has been so cold throughout the south and we can only be bring x gallons today and it's going to cost more bla bla bla. I put a fresh batch of wood into the garage and ran the stat up a few degrees lol glad I'm done with that racket. I buy in summer and light the boiler about mid October. Propane only cooks and dries the clothes until spring.

truecountry, Zman and Catpower like this.
  11. otto

otto Bakery Chef

Looks like a fun project to build whether you need it or not. Certainly more fun than actual work or sitting at a keyboard.

truecountry and Zman like this.
  12. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

Looks like a plan Allen, you can whip it out

Yeah it is a PITA sometimes but like Otto said beats wasting your brain cells on the internet

My Bro had a wood burner for a while, I had rigged it up with a rail system out of a couple old barns when they used them to lift 10-12 bales of hay into the haymow with horses and later tractors. His furnace would take an 8 foot log, it was in his basement so we built a chute to slide the logs down there and then the rail system had a couple little winches on it with the hooks off the bale lifting system to grab each end of the log, he could get the end of the log in the hole then just slide the rest of it in, it worked out great.

A good sized log would last them 2-3 days and it was a big old drafty farm house, kept it nice and toasty, but after I moved to Teas and Dad died, he was ****ed, he has the mechanical skill of an octopus:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

After the furnace needed a bunch of work he did what Jeff and I told him, just put in a 90% furnace and be done with it, his wife's family is richer then sin so might as well spend her money

truecountry likes this.
  13. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

Can't Buy the kinda Satisfaction you get Building Something Yourself!!! And then you know for Sure that it was truly "American Made"! :thumb::patriot:

truecountry, otto, jpb2 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

And if I build it it will last 50 life times, but if somebody gets tired of using it they could sell it to the navy for a anchor for a battleship:lachen::lachen::lachen::lachen:

I tend to over engineer stuff:lachen::lachen::lachen:

15. truecountry

I understand Jeff and we have thought about that ,,but it also heats our hot water for showers ,dishwashers ,and washing machines .the hot water heater 75 gallon tank hasnt been turned on in years it just a storage tank now..lol I know youre looking out for us ..but also remember its 4 ladies in this house that love hot showers ...oh almost forgot in warmer weather I only fill it every 3 days it just smolders its there for hot water only no heat ...But you do bring up very interesting in amount saved and spent ..she saided hands down this has saved us a lot ...Hugzzzzzzzzzzz Jeff

jpb2 likes this.
  16. truecountry

lol me and you are related somehow lol ...I'm going to bullet proof it that for sure ...