1. Welcome to Hvacproforums, an interactive community exclusively for HVAC professionals. The collective years of HVAC experience and the knowledge our forum members share make this an invaluable resource for those in the HVAC industry. We have a lot of fun, but make no mistake, we are pros. Hvacproforums is self supporting ...there are NO advertisers here. Do-it-yourselfers and Homeowners are encouraged to seek information elsewhere. Those involved in the HVAC industry are urged to register. its 100% free and easy, Once registered you will have access to the technical forums, Be sure to click over to the new members forum and introduce yourself after registering!

Nest

Discussion in 'Residential' started by kena, Dec 10, 2017.

1. kena

kena New Member

Ok... I know it has been well documented that the Nest sucks according to some. But I have a customer with a Gen 3 which is supposed to have fixed allot of issues I just installed a brand new York high efficiency (ECM). It fires fine but blower fan runs constantly, though the Nest is set to aito. I have heard this issue is very common. Anyone find a dix for this? Is there a resistor I can put across R and G, or C and W1? Any comvination. Or do I use isolation relays... any help would be apprecated.

2. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

Replace with Honeywell!

Catpower and Chuck like this.
  3. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

Are you sure it’s not just a furnace with an ecm that runs constantly in low speed even without a call on “G”

4. kena

kena New Member

No... it runs the same speed as it does during heating. There’s a ton of people who complain about this, but some people have said their hvac guy found anway around it. I can only think of resistors or isolation relays... but that could be a job...

5. Chuck

Chuck SSP

1000 ohm resistor between g and c should do it. Is there a common connected to the stat?

6. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

I don't "Find a way around" a problem I fix them.

NEST
    SUCKS

Texas-Tech and Zman like this.
  7. kena

kena New Member

How can Infix the problem then?

8. kena

kena New Member

When a customer goes out and buys a new thermostat... be it a nest or anything else, how can you possibly tell them it is to stupid to work right with new equipment? With Nest... people like them. Doesn’t matter if we think they suck! Gotta make it work one way or another. There has to be some bleed through somewhere, or the Nest isn’t allowing fan to go off. It is on auto

9. R2D2-TX

R2D2-TX New Member

The 3rd Generation Nest does not require a common wire.. it’s stupid to have a C terminal but the system will not work if common is connected..
    Check the installation instructions and it will tell you do not use a common... hope this helps✌️

10. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

How do you tell them......
    Easy

You bought a high priced POS. Great marketing but still a POS just like the 3-M filters.
    Now let me put a regular stat on and your problems resolved!

We survived long before NEST arrived!

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    Chuck and Catpower like this.
  11. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

I think Nest is one of the few manufacturers that have a Customer Service line dedicated only to thier tstats, and when you call them you can hear everyone in the background fielding calls and trying to solve issues! What that tells me, is all I need to know about Nest!

Catpower likes this.
  12. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

Honeywell played with a power steeling stat for a # of years. Early T87 replacements. Issues with back feeds.

13. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

I remember some of them Digital T87s being out of calibration by about 5 degrees, too green to know what it why. So just replaced with a 5000. :dunno:

14. Catpower

Catpower The Crowd Pleaser

Why is it that every ****ing Tom, Dick and Harry has to get into the HVAC/R bidness when they can't even make their own shit work

I hate to point fingers but the biggest problems with the industry occurred when Janitors got in the business, and everybody got down to their level of quality to stay competitive

MNHVAC, mike1020 and R2D2-TX like this.
  15. Chuck

Chuck SSP

In that case it is a power stealing thermostat and most furnace manufacturers say not to use them or you may have problems.

1,000 ohm resistor from g to c on the furnace terminals should prevent the fan from running in any case.

kena likes this.
  16. Chuck

Chuck SSP

Yes, there’s a good reason for it! The only reason nest won’t demand a common wire is because they are selling to (hvac) ignorant homeowners that wouldn’t be able to figure it out.

17. Zman

Zman Hanging by a Thread

What wrong with being a Janitor? 841a1c67b73a9fbc2657ebd3084a73d9.jpg

18. Chuck

Chuck SSP

I don’t do residential anymore but I would tell them there is no guarantee if they insist on supplying any of the components, any service calls that remotely have anything to do with their crappy thermostat will be billed and collected at full rates.

Catpower likes this.
  19. mike1020

mike1020 entitled millennial

It’s because of Engineers. They think they know everything but can’t even make a thermostat work.

20. pecmsg

pecmsg Junior my ASS

Someone told me once that NEST is a child of the Honeywell T87 failure.
    Don’t know if it’s true?